We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KA flight cancelled. Hotel needed for 28 March near airport

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oxford
KA flight cancelled. Hotel needed for 28 March near airport

KA have just informed me that the 23.05 flight to Mombasa on 28/03/13 is now cancelled due to Mombasa airport shutting for unspecified work. Can anyone confirm if this is the case or are KA fobbing me off with some info plucked from thin air because they have decided to cancel the flight for their own reason.

That aside I am now stranded overnight in Nairobi and am now considering my options including hotel accommodation near the airport. Any suggestions welcomed and if you have an idea of the cost that would be helpful. Have tried the Panari before but think it's expensive and not particularly nice, although it is close.

Thanks in advance

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 51
11. Re: KA flight cancelled. Hotel needed for 28 March near airport

Hi Mark,

I've done this transfer many times but always with KLM / KQ, never with BA I've usually had between an hour and a half and two and a half hours to do it. I've always done it in less than an hour . Last time I only had an hour and one of my bags didn't turn up so I had to go to baggage control where they told me it hadn't made my 50 minute connection in Amsterdam and told me to see baggage control in MBA to make arrangements for it. I still made the connection.

You will have to collect your bags, even if they are checked through, you have to collect them and go through customs, they should be your critical path, there are sometimes long queues at Immigration though I've gone virtually straight through the last couple of times but if there are just go to one of the other desks and explain you have a short connection to make and they will usually let you use another desk. or if you are really struggling for time ask ground crew or KQ customer service to fast track you through Immigration.

Once you have got your bags and gone through customs bear left as you leave arrivals then go straight across the car park, its less than 100 yards, you and your bags the go through scanners and the check in, if you are not booked through and and baggage drop if you are, desks are right in front of you.

BTW as it happens there is a nice bar between the International and Domestic terminals called the Pub.

Fleet, United...
12. Re: KA flight cancelled. Hotel needed for 28 March near airport

Cheers Doff, much appreciated - thanks for the advice

Norfolk, England
Destination Expert
for Kikambala
reviews: 7
13. Re: KA flight cancelled. Hotel needed for 28 March near airport

The last time I travelled, Oct 2012, the late flight was cancelled due to changed airport closing times. My whole trip was Klm/KA so I was transferred to the flight one hour earlier

Sussex
reviews: 1
14. Re: KA flight cancelled. Hotel needed for 28 March near airport

We have stayed at the Khweza before. Cheap, clean, safe, good rooftop bar, restaurant. Very laid back and will arrange for their car to collect you from airport and return you if needed. They have a good website.

London, United...
15. Re: KA flight cancelled. Hotel needed for 28 March near airport

That does look good kandrSussex, never seen that one before :-)

…jetscreenshot.com/11869/20130303-azsz-91kb.…

Mombasa, Kenya
16. Re: KA flight cancelled. Hotel needed for 28 March near airport

I have just thought about something. We have had guests arriving from the UK, but because of the BA connection they used BA from London to Dar es Salaam arriving in the morning and connected (3 hours transit) to Precision Air flight from Dar to Mombasa arriving at Mombasa around midday. Just a thought :)

Larissa

Tijara Beach Hotel

17. Re: KA flight cancelled. Hotel needed for 28 March near airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 05, 2014