We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KA flight cancelled. Hotel needed for 28 March near airport

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oxford
KA flight cancelled. Hotel needed for 28 March near airport

KA have just informed me that the 23.05 flight to Mombasa on 28/03/13 is now cancelled due to Mombasa airport shutting for unspecified work. Can anyone confirm if this is the case or are KA fobbing me off with some info plucked from thin air because they have decided to cancel the flight for their own reason.

That aside I am now stranded overnight in Nairobi and am now considering my options including hotel accommodation near the airport. Any suggestions welcomed and if you have an idea of the cost that would be helpful. Have tried the Panari before but think it's expensive and not particularly nice, although it is close.

Thanks in advance

London, United...
1. Re: KA flight cancelled. Hotel needed for 28 March near airport

Hotel Kipepeo is close to the airport, very clean and comfortable with rooms starting at £43 per night, deluxe rooms at £50 per night.

(Prices are negotiable if you just walk in and pay cash however it's unlikely in this case).

http://hotelkipepeo.com/index.php

If you are flying from Heathrow to Nairobi via Kenya Airways they will pay your bill although I should imagine your using British Airways.

London, United...
2. Re: KA flight cancelled. Hotel needed for 28 March near airport

The Panari a bit expensive, that's an under statement.

Price for a standard room $297.50 >>>>>>

…jetscreenshot.com/11869/20130226-vzeg-187kb…

Edited: 1:16 pm, February 26, 2013
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 51
3. Re: KA flight cancelled. Hotel needed for 28 March near airport

You can try Eka Hotel that is pretty close to the airport

http://www.ekahotel.com/ and is not too over rated.

You can as well try www.ole-serenihotel.com which is also near the airport but could be slightly higher than the Eka Hotel.

If you have more time depending on your departure time you can explore slightly outside town like the www.nairobitentedcamp.com and www.kisimahouse.com

All those have price differences amongst many other hotels in Nairobi. You can choose either depending on your budget per night.

Edited: 5:08 pm, February 26, 2013
Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 51
4. Re: KA flight cancelled. Hotel needed for 28 March near airport

I was looking at the KQ website recently and I was surprised to see the 23.05 flight wasn't appearing as an option, so overnight work might explain that.

However having seen your post, I've just gone online to do a dummy booking on 28/03 and that flight is being offered as one of the options

Edited: 12:10 am, February 27, 2013
Fleet, United...
5. Re: KA flight cancelled. Hotel needed for 28 March near airport

Hi Doff, you seem to be man of much wisdom on Kenya, perhaps you can advise me... we arrive 21/3 on BA - land 21:50 and scheduled to get on the 23:05 KA to Mombasa. In your opinion am I leaving enough time for transit? I did speak to both BA and KA who both informed me - ' should be ok .. unless ' as it were..and thats if the flight is not cancelled.. Many thanks in advance

Edited: 4:30 am, February 27, 2013
Dartford, United...
reviews: 27
6. Re: KA flight cancelled. Hotel needed for 28 March near airport

I'll just interject here, Mark, I was debating whether to book my connection to Mombasa with a hour and a half between the two flights. As it was, I wasn't sure so booked a later connection. Lucky I did as I would not have made it, immigration was a breeze but it took forever for my luggage to come through. Then you've got to go to the domestic terminal, not far but another bit of a delay to checking in. My husband came a few weeks later, same flight time into Nairobi, had to wait 40 minutes after arriving at the luggage carousel for his bags. He wouldn't have made it either.

I'd say you're taking a chance, Nairobi isn't the speediest of places when it comes to collecting your luggage.

Fleet, United...
7. Re: KA flight cancelled. Hotel needed for 28 March near airport

Thanks.. well there had better be a good bar at the airport then ;) that would mean a 10 hour layover - we have accomodation already booked Mombasa end so lose a day but hey we will have to take our chances now

Dartford, United...
reviews: 27
8. Re: KA flight cancelled. Hotel needed for 28 March near airport

Best of luck, Mark. Maybe you'll strike lucky, low season & perhaps not a full flight, being it's just after the initial elections. I don't know whether it might be worth mentioning that you have a short connection time when you check in at Heathrow, do they have some way of marking your bags as priority so that they come through quicker? Never tried it, just a suggestion.

Fleet, United...
9. Re: KA flight cancelled. Hotel needed for 28 March near airport

Hi, yes, I asked BA and said they don't offer this in advance but explain at check in, furthermore they said if they were booking it all as one trip including the KA flight - ( although no affiliation, I presume they offer the service ) then the ' system ' says 1 hour required between international arrival and domestic departure. - I can only presume I may not need to collect luggage and it goes straight through, but, like you say, guess its going to be pot luck, thanks for the info anyway.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
10. Re: KA flight cancelled. Hotel needed for 28 March near airport

You will need to collect your luggage in Nairobi, Mark.