We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, D.C.
reviews: 157
David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

I apologize if this specific question has been answered before, but I searched and couldn't find it.

I have sponsored an orphan at the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust and plan to go for a morning visit in June. Will my husband and daughter be allowed to visit the orphanage on a morning visit with my as I have fostered or will they need to be separate/individual sponsors?

33 replies to this topic
Mombasa, Kenya
1. Re: David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

I know that some of the members here have been sponsoring as well and will be in a better position to let you know. But you always can write to the Trust and ask. As a foster parent you should be receiving their updates, so just drop them a line. You have to arrange such a visit in advance as I understand, so do ask this question at the same time.

Larissa

Tijara Beach Hotel

Washington, D.C.
2. Re: David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

Good suggestion Tijara. will do. thank you.

nyc
3. Re: David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

The 11am daily showing is open to ALL for a small fee.

For foster parents, they are allowed to visit at 5pm and your husband and daughter can join you. Just be sure though to pre-arrange this visit, providing Sheldrick name of your chubby, date you wish to visit and who will be in attendence.

Washington, D.C.
4. Re: David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

thanks 4sandi.

Michigan
reviews: 39
5. Re: David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

If you are going to the 11am public time, make sure you are there early and get in as soon as they open as it can get rather crowded at this time, especially with groups of school children.

The visit during the day is quite different than the 5pm, adoptive 'parents' visit. I did both in May. During the am visit, someone will present a short talk and tell you about the various elephants by name. You can get very close to them with a rope separating you.

At the 5pm visit, you will get to talk to the keepers, who never seem to tire of questions. Then you can visit your elephant at their stall where they sleep for the night. The keepers are very good at taking photos of them from inside and at their level. And they can take a photo of you with your ellie in the background.

If you have time to visit at both times, you can always do something in between the visiting times that is close by - lunch, Kazuri Bead factory, Karen Blixen house.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 25
6. Re: David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

I too did both tour times during my visit in August 2011, and thoroughly enjoyed both. The Kazuri Bead Factory an Blixen house are very good ideas too. You may also want to stop by the Giraffe Centre in the area.

Tasmania, Australia
7. Re: David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

Has anyone ever been able to stay longer with the orphaned elephants at the Nairobi orphanage? If you foster one of the babies, and ask for permission, is it possible to go with the orphans into the Nairobi National Park?

nyc
8. Re: David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

ElizabethC -

No, as the chubbies go to sleep after foster parents (you) depart at 6pm. Next morning they're getting reading for the 11am showing. Midday they are out in the fields with the keepers.

Between 5-6 is plenty of time to see yours as well as others that are in residence.

Whitby, Canada
reviews: 20
9. Re: David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

Going to visit my baby in August - can't wait

Farmington Hills...
reviews: 9
10. Re: David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust

Any idea what the fees are ? I would like to go visit but most of my savings are depleted in Masai Mara

Reply to: David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted