We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Syokimau train to CBD

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle upon...
reviews: 23
Syokimau train to CBD

Has anyone used this service yet? I might give it a go when i fly into Nairobi in April.

Nairobi
1. Re: Syokimau train to CBD

Unfortunately the hype it started with has quicky faded away, the fare is out of reach for most local commuters at Ksh 120 one way, they seem to have targeted the wrong people and has been operating below capacity or half empty. It is now operating during peak hours only in the morning upto 0900hrs and in the evenings at 1800hrs. Word has it that they are considering lowering the fare to attract more commuters.

Good luck , if their schedule ties in with your arrival, give it a try

Allan

Newcastle upon...
reviews: 23
2. Re: Syokimau train to CBD

I will land at 0625 so if there is a train between 0800 - 0900 I will go give it a try. It will save hitting all the traffic into town.

I notice the Syokimau station is quite near JKIA?

It stops at Railways in Town?

Nairobi
3. Re: Syokimau train to CBD

If landing at 0625 you should be able to connect, it is actually quicker as it takes about 20 minutes to get to town, you may need a taxi to drop you at the station from JKIA.

Good luck

Allan

Baltimore, Maryland
4. Re: Syokimau train to CBD

Syokimau train was targeting the middle class personalities who can drive to the station, park their vehicles and pick the train to Nairobi to avoid the delay negotiating the traffic jam. Its also worthy for those who can afford it. The fact is that traveling with communal taxi (matatu) is cheap than this train.

If you want to make a try, Its worthy. Go on

5. Re: Syokimau train to CBD

Morning guys.Am sure the guy arriving in 'April' has already arrived and probably tasted the Syokimau commuter train.Granted that KR made the mistake of charging high fares (240/= return) thinking that the middle class they were targeting was ready to fork the money(which they we'ren't),they have realised the error of their ways and now charge 100/= flat for a return ticket which guarantees a full train and Nbi in 20-25 mins.I use it everyday and can't compare it to matatus which take 1-3 hrs depending on traffic conditions to Nbi.

Plus the train is comfortable,no makangas insulting you,no loud music,zero risk of accidents due to dangerous driving,no pick pockets and many other ills associated with matatu travel.

If KR can be able to relocate the slum dwellers at Mukuru, who sometimes throw debris at the train in anger because they are being moved from their 'land',train travel is the way to go.In fact,word has it that they are to build 25 new stations around Nbi to ease traffic jams which is music to my heart.Think of the billions saved in fuel,stress,time spent parked in traffic and Kenya will be on her way 2 realising her dreams come 2030.

Hope the Kenyatta gov't expedites this expansion asap.

Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 1
6. Re: Syokimau train to CBD

The fare had further been reduced to Kshs 30 during off peak hours.

7. Re: Syokimau train to CBD

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 30, 2014