We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Masai Mara - Camping Safari August Recommendations

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Masai Mara - Camping Safari August Recommendations

Hi - myself and my partner are planning a trip to Kenya and Tanzania in August. We want to catch the Great Migration whilst arriving in Nairobi before going south to the Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crator and also climbing Kili. We then plan on going to Vic Falls and perhaps and overland tour to Cape Town. Given all we are planning on doing we obviously want to keep costs in check whilst not compromising our experience (if that's even possible). Does anyone have a recommendation for a reasonable budget safari tour to the Masai Mara? I would be interested in hearing about ones that also go directly from Masai Mara down into the Serengeti and finish somewhere like Arusha. Knowledgible guides and reliable vehicles would be the preferred.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 49
11. Re: Masai Mara - Camping Safari August Recommendations

Meshack,

Please read the guidelines, self-promotion is not allowed

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 94
12. Re: Masai Mara - Camping Safari August Recommendations

Doffcocker, thanks for clarifying the Thorntree situation. I had heard otherwise, but all third or fourth hand.

OP, I am not recommending you miss Serengeti in August. As I stated, there are things to see. Less than a quarter of the animals migrate to Masai Mara from Serengeti. But if only 4 or 5 days for safari in Tanzania, then you can't do it all.

Just how much time do you have, because you seem to be packing a lot into a 3 country budget travel.

Nairobi, Kenya
13. Re: Masai Mara - Camping Safari August Recommendations

you can use isbania road to Tanzania

nyc
14. Re: Masai Mara - Camping Safari August Recommendations

The road transfer from the Mara to Serengeti, if you do not overnight at Lake Victoria, will easily take up an entire day - 8-10/hrs to do this transfer.

There is a flight between the Mara and Serengeti, but price is about $500/pp one-way. And, then you'd have to arrange for Tanzania guide/vehicle to meet you here for safari segment in this country. Also another Visa required along with Yellow Fever inoculation and proof of same for entry from Kenya.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 49
15. Re: Masai Mara - Camping Safari August Recommendations

Quiltingmamma,

Full Thorn Tree story here

independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/bbc…

16. Re: Masai Mara - Camping Safari August Recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 22, 2014