We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Masai Mara - Camping Safari August Recommendations

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Masai Mara - Camping Safari August Recommendations

Hi - myself and my partner are planning a trip to Kenya and Tanzania in August. We want to catch the Great Migration whilst arriving in Nairobi before going south to the Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crator and also climbing Kili. We then plan on going to Vic Falls and perhaps and overland tour to Cape Town. Given all we are planning on doing we obviously want to keep costs in check whilst not compromising our experience (if that's even possible). Does anyone have a recommendation for a reasonable budget safari tour to the Masai Mara? I would be interested in hearing about ones that also go directly from Masai Mara down into the Serengeti and finish somewhere like Arusha. Knowledgible guides and reliable vehicles would be the preferred.

1. Re: Masai Mara - Camping Safari August Recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:22 am, February 18, 2013
London
reviews: 2
2. Re: Masai Mara - Camping Safari August Recommendations

Self promotion is not allowed. Read the rules

Perth, Australia
3. Re: Masai Mara - Camping Safari August Recommendations

Can anyone give me feedback on Safaris In Kenya - the tour group?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
reviews: 100
4. Re: Masai Mara - Camping Safari August Recommendations

It is my understanding that to get from the Mara to the Serengetti there are three options, each probably pricey. You can fly out of Nairobi to Arusa in TZ and begin there or you can try and go direct by ground or air from the Mara to the Serengetti. By air I believe you land at a strip on the Kenya side, take a bus over the boarder and then board another plane. Planes can't fly direct from Kenya to TZ at these airstrips. I believe you can do a similiar thing by ground with one tour operator in Kenya taking you to the boarder and another picking you up in TZ.

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 94
5. Re: Masai Mara - Camping Safari August Recommendations

As Medic intimates, you can't have the same driver or company for both these countries. Others play well together, but not Kenya and Tanz. The Serengeti is very big compared to Masai Mara. Some recommend to stay just in tanzania. You could do that and visit the Northern Serengeti, but it isn't so easy to do it budget. It requires either several more days drive, or a flight. Most camps in that area are expensive. So your best bet might be to do a Mara tri, return to Nairobi. Bus to Arusha and take a budget safari from there. Either just to Ngoro Crater with maybe Manyara and Tarangire parks- foregoing Serengeti, or with some extra days including the Seregenti. It is my favourite park, I wil admit. Also, even if you don't get to the North, lenty of animals stay in the central area so always animals.

Check out the Tanzania forum as there are some recent posts about August travel.

And if you haven't done so, check out Lonely Planet's Thorntree forum to read their reports or threads. Note that recently they shut down the Africa forum because of all the touts trying to offer group tours that did not exist, so don't post an open question there.

manchester, United...
reviews: 46
6. Re: Masai Mara - Camping Safari August Recommendations

I can't help you with budget safaris but I can tell you that it isn't possible to go directly from the Mara to Serengeti. There are no border crossings between the two parks. Also Kenya vehicles and drivers aren't allowed to drive in Tanzania. We travelled between Kenya and Tanzania, by road , in 2008 and the Kenyan driver handed us over to the Tanzania tour company at the land border.

August is peak time in the Mara with prices to match. August in Serengeti is very dry and the wildlife sparse. We saw some very hungry lions. Ngorongora is great at any time.

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 94
7. Re: Masai Mara - Camping Safari August Recommendations

Last year they started offering flights to southern Mara. You get off, walk through the border crossing, then get onto another plane, or your Tanzania vehicle to Serengeti. So there is, now, a route. Or drive West to Lake Victoria shore where there is another crossing.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 50
8. Re: Masai Mara - Camping Safari August Recommendations

Quiltingmamma,

Are you referring to the period over Christmas / New Year when the Thorn Tree forum was closed down, if so that wasn't due to touting on that forum, it shut down all its forums, because they had not been sufficiently moderated and it was discovered there was lots of potentially illegal sex-related posts on them. Lonely Planet is owned by the BBC, and it had just been involved in a media storm relating to a very high profile paedophilia case, so didn't want any more adverse publicity. They waded through all the forums and brought them back 'branch by branch' and Africa was one the the later one's to be brought back.

Perth, Australia
9. Re: Masai Mara - Camping Safari August Recommendations

I am getting pretty good quotes form Sabina Safari Tours, Kairi Tours

and AfricaHomeAdventure.  I can't find alot of reviews on these

individual groups, so it's have to know how genuine they are.

Is the general recommendation to stay out of the Serengeti if I am

doing a safari in Tanzania in August?

At present I'm leaning tours a short 3/4 trip to Masai Mara, back to

Nairobi, Climb Kili, 5/6 days in Ngoro. Crator, Manyara and Tarangire

parks... and then down to Zanzibar.  Some how then getting to Vic

falls (which seems quite difficult/costly).

Is that too much safari driving for 2 people on their first safaris?

is it too much time for an average person looking at animals?

10. Re: Masai Mara - Camping Safari August Recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 am, February 19, 2013