We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenya with young children????

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kenya with young children????

We have a transit in Nairobi at the end of the year whilst heading over to west africa nd thinking of maybe staying a 3-4 days.. Few questions i have 2 young children is it safe??? Any ideas on a nice clean cheap accomodation (not fancy just clean). What would you look at spending each day? Can new zealanders get visa on arrival?

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
1. Re: Kenya with young children????

Quite safe indeed. Like any capital city, Nairobi gets very hectic where traffic snarl ups seems to be norm these days. Can i suggest staying at Karen where all major touristic sites are like Giraffe Park, Sheldrick Orphanage, NBI Orphanage..

Consider RockHouse Guest Home in Karen.

Kids will absolutely love the ambience & tranquility of Naivasha which is only 90 mins drive from NBI. Plenty of cheap accommodation like camp site (budget rooms). Fishermans Camp have 4 bed bandas.

2. Re: Kenya with young children????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:22 am, February 18, 2013
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 144
3. Re: Kenya with young children????

As stef says, Kenya is safe. Many families come to Kenya for holidays.

NZ citizens can get a visa on arrival. Cost per person in us$50. No special rate for kids.

Allow around us$100-150 for all of you per day for accommodation. Car and driver for the day around $60-80.

4. Re: Kenya with young children????

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:05 am, February 19, 2013
Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 38
5. Re: Kenya with young children????

Hi, we live here in Nairobi, and have lived here for over a year. We have 2 small children, 2 and 5 and we love it here. there are so many things to do, i'm not sure if 2-3 days is enough. There are wonderful hotels, your children will be adored. There are several restaurants with not only play grounds but also staff whose sole function is to entertain your kids while you eat. Feeding the giraffes, taking the safari walk at the national park then lunch at tJolly rogers where kids can play, go down then inflatable water slide, generally have a great time, and there are kid minders there too. the water slide at Village Market, a movie, bowling, horseback riding, there are a million things to do with kids here. I would say, stay at the Southern Sun Mayfair, Have dinner at Peppers, which is right across the street, that way you are not too far from everything, but yet close enough to a Mall (or 2) that you can pop out to pick stuff up as needed. A nairobi holiday is fantastic. If you head over to Mombasa, I would recommend the Baobab beach resort for kids, or Turtal Bay in Malindi...Kenya is a great place for kids, with out a doubt.

Glasgow, United...
6. Re: Kenya with young children????

our kids been visiting kenya since age of 1, they are nearly in their teenage years now,

you could look up progressiveparkhotel.co.ke (its above bank of india) in town, near to nakumat westgate supermarket (its easy to food courts and cafes), and for out of town experience you could look up kikuyulodgehotel.com, we found both places ok for our needs.

some traffic congestion around nairobi has been improved with wider roads such as thicka super highway, and some road constructions are still ongoing.

there's plenty to do in nairobi and many places to choose from, if you like swimming make sure nairobi hotel has heated swim pool.

Naivasha, Kenya
reviews: 2
7. Re: Kenya with young children????

We first took our granddaughter to Kenya at 4 months of age and she has lived there on and off ever since. Using a buggy isn't very practical, so we carried her in a 'leso' on our backs. we have had no problems at all, but I certainly recommend having medical insurance, as a precaution.

Will let others comment on accommodation, as we have our own place.

Indianapolis...
reviews: 7
8. Re: Kenya with young children????

We just returned to the United States from Nairobi from our second visit to Kenya this year. We did a missions trip in Jan. In June we took our grown children and grandchildren. We set up several days of things to do and see. We hired a very very reasonable, safe, trustworthy, driver who helped me plan out what we wanted to do. He was great about returning emails promptly and helped us with accommodations (going to check them out to see if it was what we were looking for) and with places to eat. I would highly recommend that you contact him. He was so kind and gentle with our grandchildren. They loved him! You can email me if you have any questions at kellie@apologia.com

9. Re: Kenya with young children????

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 12, 2014