We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Nairobi Dangerous?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
san francisco
reviews: 2
Is Nairobi Dangerous?

How dangerous is Nairobi as a city? Hearing stories of dangers of robbery, etc. My daughter is thinking of volunteering there for a month in July.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
11. Re: Is Nairobi Dangerous?

We do have volunteers, but the minimum age is 18 unless they are with a parent or guardian. I can see the two youngsters mentioned by 4sandi were fine, but I gather there are legal (and insurance) reasons for minors to be accompanied - at least from UK..

Dublin
12. Re: Is Nairobi Dangerous?

I have a friend who is in Nairobi currently for a two weeks visit. He is married there and the visit includes short travels within. He tells me it is safe.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 89
13. Re: Is Nairobi Dangerous?

Dear Dempsey,

I always tell people planning to visit Nairobi that they needn't worry,as long as they take sensible precautions.Furthermore,they shouldn't so anything foolish which is the same advice to be followed anywhere. I always keep my credit cards,cash,and a copy of my passport in concealed pockets. This is something I learned to do some 20 years ago on my travels.

australia
reviews: 15
14. Re: Is Nairobi Dangerous?

Hi, I just came back from Nairobi. My girlfriend and I traveled together, so two woman. I felt very safe. Sure there are areas you shouldn't go. But common sense and listening to others with warnings helps. Often we where the only white people in places and felt incredibly safe. We did get taxis(very expensive) and used common sense. I would let my daughter go with a doubt. Phone coverage is excellent.

Comparing South Africa to Kenya is not a realistic comparison.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 89
15. Re: Is Nairobi Dangerous?

I must say that living in Nairobi,I find the Kenyan people to be incredibly helpful,and always concerned about my security. They don't want foreigners to be the victims of robberies or any other crimes. In general they are very kind,polite and warm.

16. Re: Is Nairobi Dangerous?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 12, 2014