We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed- Kenya nairobi volunteering

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Advice needed- Kenya nairobi volunteering

Hi,

I am travelling to Kenya in June with one of my friends.

We're flying to Nairobi. Could anyone tell me any safety precautions in Nairobi?

We have found a volunteer project which we found on the HELPX website, but we aren't 100% on it yet. Could anyone who has done a volunteer programme in kenya send me their stories and if you have any recommondations on a volunteer programme, that would be great.

We're nervous as this is our first time travelling and a lot of friends have been negative regarding our stay in Kenya. I understand the Somali border is a danger zone but we won't be anywhere near it. In general is Nairobi a safe place to stay?

I would really appreciate anyones volunteer stories as I am feeling unconfident at the moment, any websites on volunteer programmes you can send me would be appreciated. We don't want to pay over £1000 for a programme (I know a lot of them are expensive) but obviously we would rather pay a little extra if we know we're safe and looked after. We would be looking at doing the volunteer project for 2 weeks as we're staying in Kenya for 3 weeks. Ideally we would like to help out at an orphanage.

Thanks,

Hannah

manchester, United...
reviews: 44
1. Re: Advice needed- Kenya nairobi volunteering

Hannah - I am checking the place you are staying and will update you as soon as I get any info.

You shouldn't expect to pay £1000s but you should expect to pay for your keep - otherwise you are just another mouth to feed. £10 per day is not unreasonable. You should also expect to pay for transfers to and from the airport.

Be mindful that opinion is varied on volunteer placements to orphanages. It can be very unsettling for the children to have a stream of visitors - they get attached and then the visitor disappears out of their lives (just as their parents have).

But that's another story.

I will get back to you when I have more info on your intended destination. Orphanages can be big money-spinners and there is a danger that you get inundated with touts, wanting to help you find a placement, when you post an open topic such as the one above.

I will also send you the risk assessment I have completed for visitors to the orphanage I support. It might help put your mind at rest. I'll also send you an equipment list.

Welcome to Kenya!

Edited: 7:24 am, February 07, 2013
London, United...
reviews: 4
2. Re: Advice needed- Kenya nairobi volunteering

hello Hannah,

i know of a children orphanage which is in the outskirts of Nairobi (the capital city). the children are looked after a couple and they vary in age. they occasionally look for volunteers to teach English and crafts and am sure they will be grateful if you offered your talents. Its called WAJIBU WETU. Have a look at this site and see if this is for you. They will provide accommodation and food for a small fee. you will of course have to pay for your transport. hope you find it helpful

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
3. Re: Advice needed- Kenya nairobi volunteering

Hannah - we have a volunteer programme in Western Kenya. You may want to be near to Nairobi, but have a look at www.icfem-mission.org/gap.htm

You'll find a lot of information we give to our volunteers as well as bits of video etc.

We don't have an orphanage but you can see other things volunteers have done. In all I think it will encourage you wherever you go.

What I can say is that a number of volunteers have returned!!!

Nairobi, Kenya
4. Re: Advice needed- Kenya nairobi volunteering

Hannah

I run a newly established volunteer travel organization that is based in Kenya with a mission to interlink international volunteer travellers with needy grass-root organizations involved in medical, teaching, and childrens’ orphanage programs.

We have an orphanage in Nairobi's Huruma Slum that you would love to volunteer in. Our program fees are also extremely affordable. If you would like to receive more information on this, please feel to inbox me.

Edited: 12:39 pm, February 08, 2013
5. Re: Advice needed- Kenya nairobi volunteering

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 10, 2014