We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it better to buy Kenyan Shillings in UK or @ Kenya

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
reviews: 1
Is it better to buy Kenyan Shillings in UK or @ Kenya

Does one get better Rates for Kenyan Shillings if purchased in Advance in UK or are the Rates better in Kenya ? Any suggestions for Best Rates ?

Thanks in Advance.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 13
1. Re: Is it better to buy Kenyan Shillings in UK or @ Kenya

It's better to exchange currency in Kenya. Marks and Sparks is 127/ KS to £1 while Central Bank.of Kenya is 138/- so you'll probably get 136/- ish from a Forex. Don't bother changing money at your hotel as they usally offer lousy rates.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 145
2. Re: Is it better to buy Kenyan Shillings in UK or @ Kenya

And also avoid changing at Kenyan banks. Stick to the forex bureau's.

UK
3. Re: Is it better to buy Kenyan Shillings in UK or @ Kenya

Thanks both of you.

So, there must be Forex Counters at the Airport. Is it best toexchange at the Airport itself or look around in Town. I will only have one day at Nairobi before joining the Safari when I plan to visit the Giraffe Centre and the Elephant Orphanage.

manchester, United...
reviews: 44
4. Re: Is it better to buy Kenyan Shillings in UK or @ Kenya

You can generally get money from the ATMs at the airport. Much easier than faffing around Nairobi if you only have limited amount of time. I do usually get some ksh in the UK just in case the ATMs are out (not unheard of). To be honest if you are only planning to get a small amount of local currency its not worth the hassle of trying to find a bureau just to save a few pounds (or pence). On the other hand I have stood in some lengthy queues trying to get money changed in Nairobi.

UK
5. Re: Is it better to buy Kenyan Shillings in UK or @ Kenya

Not sure about my ATM Cards - have to enquire with my Bank.

The other question is will the Forex Bureau @ Airport be open early in the morning - we're arriving @ 06:45. By the time we clear everything, it'll be at least 08:00 I guess.

manchester, United...
reviews: 44
6. Re: Is it better to buy Kenyan Shillings in UK or @ Kenya

I honestly don't know about Forex at the airport - I've never used them. Hopefully someone can tell you. You would need to tell your bank if you are planning on using your cards when travelling. They can be refused if you don't.

nyc
7. Re: Is it better to buy Kenyan Shillings in UK or @ Kenya

Always best to purchased or exchange funds at the country you're visiting... best rates, than doing from home country.

Can't attest whether the Forex is open early (though believe as long as flights arrive, they should be), but there's always the ATM, which I've yet to find don't have funds, besides there's more than one ATM machine in the terminal, if so. If it's just sufficient KSH for first day, you can once in NBO itself, stop at a Forex for additional funds.

Personally though, even if few shillings difference between Forex vs ATM is too small to matter.

Bedford, United...
reviews: 3
8. Re: Is it better to buy Kenyan Shillings in UK or @ Kenya

We have just returned from Kenya and arrived at 7am at Nairobi airport. Husband changed sterling at the airport and all the kiosks were open. Excellent rate, we never buy ksh in the UK, have always bought ksh at the airport.

9. Re: Is it better to buy Kenyan Shillings in UK or @ Kenya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 06, 2014