We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Unlimited Internet in Kenya

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nakuru, Kenya
Best Unlimited Internet in Kenya

Hi, we are relocating from Australia to Nakuru next week. Have been looking at Internet providers on the web and wonder if anyone can help on suggesting the best unlimited service.

Cheers,

Darren

24 replies to this topic
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
1. Re: Best Unlimited Internet in Kenya

Hi - i use Orange 3G Unlimited on my SmartPhone & pick up the signals from it to my laptop. They also have modems with unlimited packages.

There's another provider, Safaricom, but i feel Orange is better.

Mombasa, Kenya
2. Re: Best Unlimited Internet in Kenya

Airtel - another mobile phone service provider - also have unlimited package as well as Orange mentioned by Stefani. Mobile connectivity in Kenya is cheap for both phone calls and Internet.

Stefani, Safaricom do not offer unlimited package anymore although they used to.

Larissa

Tijara Beach Hotel

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 46
3. Re: Best Unlimited Internet in Kenya

It depends on whether you want flexibility or speed and which provider has the strongest signal in the areas you will be using it.

I personally use Orange's Internet Everywhere 3G High Speed which uses HSPA + and gives speeds up to 21 mbps. But I have a 5 bar 3G signal here, at my previous address right on the edge of Orange's 3G coverage it was painfully slow and at times unusable as it was reverting to EDGE. I believe that Orange 3G has recently gone live in Nakuru.It costs 2.999/- for a month's 'unlimited' bundle.

Safaricom generally has the most standardly consistent network coverage, if I'm using my netbook away from home I use my Safaricom up to 7 mbps dongle (it's high speed 21 mbps service is not available here, don't know about Nakuru) as I can get a decent service in most places. However Safaricom stopped its unlimited bundles last year.

Airtel has launched its 3.75G service which it is marketing as the fastest available but I know nothing about it and I don't know anyone who uses Airtel Internet (they are relatively recent players in the internet market)

Both Safaricom and Orange have recently launched 41mbps services but they are limited to a few select areas of Nairobi

BTW you should be aware that 'unlimited' here may not the same as you may be used to, for example my old UK service was truly unlimited or had a fair usage limit that was so high I never hit it, but here there there is a data limit after which you can still access the net but at severely capped speeds

Nakuru, Kenya
4. Re: Best Unlimited Internet in Kenya

Thanks for the replies, I will take it all on board.

Darren

Nairobi, Kenya
5. Re: Best Unlimited Internet in Kenya

I can also vouch for Orange, 1,999/- for the modem and 2,990/- for a monthly unlimited subscription. There is a fair use policy though and if you surpass 20GB you may be capped at 256kbps.

6. Re: Best Unlimited Internet in Kenya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:38 pm, March 20, 2013

7. Re: Best Unlimited Internet in Kenya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:38 pm, March 20, 2013

Tehran
8. Re: Best Unlimited Internet in Kenya

chose safaricom with hight speed 3g modem

the modem its 10.000 ksh

and 3000 per month for unlimited service

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 13
9. Re: Best Unlimited Internet in Kenya

Have Safaricom restarted their unlimited service? It had been withdrawn when I tried to get it.

Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 1
10. Re: Best Unlimited Internet in Kenya

Safaricom no longer have their unlimited internet service, try Orange Telecom for unlimited wireless internet

Reply to: Best Unlimited Internet in Kenya
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted