We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transferring money to a Kenyan Bank

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
N. Staffordshire
reviews: 28
Transferring money to a Kenyan Bank

I'm trying to transfer the fees for a student we are sponsoring at the KeMU but my bank are saying I need an IBAN number but the university are telling me their bank doesn't have one and that Kenya is not yet set up with these. Doffcocker or anyone based in Kenya, can you help with advice?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 50
11. Re: Transferring money to a Kenyan Bank

Hi

My Kenyan bank account is with Barclays, hence my example of a Swift BIC in my first post, I regularly transfer money from my UK bank to my Kenyan Barclays account. In fact I looked at one of the completed forms to confirm the info I was listing as I was writing that first post.

I can also confirm that you can transfer money from a Nationwide account to a Barclays Kenya account without an Iban number, that is the building society account I referred to above. I have done this as well, in fact I have done an online transfer from that account. Which obviously means their own software does not demand an ban

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
12. Re: Transferring money to a Kenyan Bank

We do it a lot, using Travelex. As others have said, it is very possible. However, if you are transferring to a University Account, you have to make very sure it goes to the correct student.

I've found that the student him/herself needs full details of the transfer - and that is from within Kenya. He then has to go to the University Accounts Office and make sure the money is credited to him.

manchester, United...
reviews: 46
13. Re: Transferring money to a Kenyan Bank

Good point Asifwe. When we pay university fees we send the money to a trusted contact in Kenya (via SWIFT) who then pays the university and sends us the receipts.......can't imagine trying to deal with the university directly!

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
14. Re: Transferring money to a Kenyan Bank

Yes, Val!!

I assume KeMU is the Methodist University and a Private University might be better???

15. Re: Transferring money to a Kenyan Bank

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, February 01, 2014