We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transferring money to a Kenyan Bank

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
N. Staffordshire
Level Contributor
25 posts
42 reviews
Transferring money to a Kenyan Bank

I'm trying to transfer the fees for a student we are sponsoring at the KeMU but my bank are saying I need an IBAN number but the university are telling me their bank doesn't have one and that Kenya is not yet set up with these. Doffcocker or anyone based in Kenya, can you help with advice?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
14,081 posts
53 reviews
1. Re: Transferring money to a Kenyan Bank

Hi Auntykaz,

You don't need an IBAN number, it's purely for transfers in the European Economic Area.

You need the Bank Swift BIC / Bank Id, (for example Barclays Kenya's is BARCKENX ), the bank name and address then the account name and number. Your bank should have an international outward payment form which will show everything you need to provide

N. Staffordshire
Level Contributor
25 posts
42 reviews
2. Re: Transferring money to a Kenyan Bank

Thanks Doffcocker,

Unfortunately the bank are insisting that I need one for Africa as it's only for transfers within the EEC that I don't need it. I'll have to look at other ways to get the money there, probably via Western Union.

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
62 reviews
3. Re: Transferring money to a Kenyan Bank

Tell your bank you want to make a SWIFT payment. I do it all the time through Barclays in the UK - transferring money to Prime Bank in Kenya. Their SWIFT code is PRIEKENX and their Bank code is 10008. Other than that you'll need the account number and the address of the bank in Kenya.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,081 posts
53 reviews
4. Re: Transferring money to a Kenyan Bank

I transfer money from my UK account to Kenyan account, and I have never had to provide the IBAN number, when I first did it I was specifically told by both banks that I didn't need it, that it only applied to transfers within Europe. The form I use specifically says under the Iban section '(for transfer within the EEA)'.

I have also transferred money from a building society account without needing an Iban number, its just as well as no African bank (not even South Africa) will have one, yet lots of us manage to transfer money regularly, and many people on this forum pay for their safari using it. As I understand it not even USA banks have Ibans.

So either you bank has a severely limited service or they don't know what they are talking about

Edit: You don't even need the bank code that Val refers to just the info I listed in the first post

Edited: 6:19 am, January 29, 2013
Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
607 posts
5. Re: Transferring money to a Kenyan Bank

I agree with all the above - you only need a SWIFT code for the Kenyan bank. We deal with transfers into our bank account in foreign currency and Kenya shillings all the time and the only info we provide to enable our clients to transfer is the following:

- bank and branch

- account name

- account number

- SWIFT code

Tend to agree with Doff here - either limited service or poor knowledge from your bank. Be firm and tell them that this information has been provided by a Kenyan bank themselves

Good luck!

Larissa

Tijara Beach Hotel

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,081 posts
53 reviews
6. Re: Transferring money to a Kenyan Bank

There is another possibility, if the University uses a small local bank it may be that that bank uses a larger intermediary bank for the transfer.and the intermediary might be based in the UK in which case it would need an Iban number. I've just been taking to a friend who has been in this situation where the small local bank used Standard Chartered in London as the intermediary. He had to provide Standard Chartered's Iban, but in effect he specified SC as the receiving bank with the local bank and account number specified as the receiving account.

N. Staffordshire
Level Contributor
25 posts
42 reviews
7. Re: Transferring money to a Kenyan Bank

Thanks for your replies, they do use Barclays in Meru, so maybe that's why. I'll give Barclays a call to see if they can throw any light on the situation. I don't really want to send it via Western Union if I can avoid it as it's a large amount of money for my friend to collect

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
62 reviews
8. Re: Transferring money to a Kenyan Bank

I can categorically tell you that Barclays in the UK can process SWIFT payments and Barclays in Kenya can receive them. They are members of SWIFT and do not use any intermediary banks.

What bank in the UK were you trying to send from?

N. Staffordshire
Level Contributor
25 posts
42 reviews
9. Re: Transferring money to a Kenyan Bank

Nationwide.

My husband is going to phone their head office tomorrow to try and sort it.

Thanks

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
62 reviews
10. Re: Transferring money to a Kenyan Bank

Ah.........I have a Nationwide Account but never use it for SWIFT payments as I'm never convinced its a full clearing bank like Barclays......It used to be good for travelling but its less so now that they charge fees. Good luck tomorrow. Would you come back and post as I'd be keen to see if they can do it.