We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to bring? What to bring?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
jilin china
reviews: 52
What to bring? What to bring?

I will be arriving in Nairobi in a couple of weeks and I always bring too much "stuff" wherever I go. I have 3 days in Nairobi then a week on safari, then another week at a resort in Mombassa before returning to Nairobi for a couple of days. Suggestions please of what would be essential for the safari.....I can't live without my laptop and iPad but I am a bit reluctant to haul them around. Advice on this topic would also be appreciated.

Thanks

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 2
1. Re: What to bring? What to bring?

You can just carry your ipad with you to avoid having alot of electronics with you.

Mombasa, Kenya
2. Re: What to bring? What to bring?

Have a look here for what to bring tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g294206-c3322/Kenya…

If you have an iPad there is no point in bringing a laptop with you as well. Bring a few good size memory cards for your camera and you will not need to worry about backing up your photos till you get back. I take mine everywhere and don't need anything else - it is my office and my connection to the world. You can buy a micro sim from Safaricom at the airport on arrival or in any Safaricome shops in town, load some credit (you will get 1.5 GB for approximately 10 euros) and enjoy your trip!

Another advice I give my friends who come here - pile everything you need 2 days before you travel in one place, on the first day remove half of it and put away, on the second day remove half of remaining stuff only making sure that you have enough underware! Then pack the remaining stuff and it will be still more than you need! LOL

Have a good trip!

jilin china
reviews: 52
3. Re: What to bring? What to bring?

Thanks so much! Will leave the laptop safe at home. The packing advice made me laugh...so true, I know that I will still bring too much. Have a great weekend (almost Friday where I live) cheers!

Mombasa, Kenya
4. Re: What to bring? What to bring?

You are welcome and have a super trip! Friday is not yet on a horizon here :) but have a nice weekend too!

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
5. Re: What to bring? What to bring?

Don't bring your laptop (since you have a iPad).

You'll be more anxious on keeping the laptop secure rather enjoying your holiday....

Carry light clothes, due to Kenya's tropical climate. Most hotels offer laundry service, pointless to carry much clothing.

nyc
6. Re: What to bring? What to bring?

..... try disconnecting completely! It's quite eye-opening, offering less anxiety and freedom all around.

I always travel incommunicado... no nothing. I actually remove my watch on arrival and it doesn't go back on till home bound, sometimes not till I land in NYC.

In case of emergency, those at home (family/business) know where to reach me and if I need someone, there's always a connection even out in the bush.

Boston...
reviews: 79
7. Re: What to bring? What to bring?

Most places are equipped to do laundry.. So using the list , bring enough for 3-4 days and you should be fine

nairobi
reviews: 1
8. Re: What to bring? What to bring?

For the Safari You can bring;

-money for personal spending

-long trousers and jacket for cool mornings and evening and light clothing for hot days

-insect repellant, sunscreen lotion, walking shoes perharps if you will be going for bush walks, sunglasses

-medication tat you may require e.g. head-aches tabs , cold and flu tabs and remember to carry your camera and plenty of film or memory space since kenya is a beautiful place and you wont stop taking photos...:-)

Bath, Canada
9. Re: What to bring? What to bring?

I bought Keene closed toe sandals for our Feb. Safari and am hoping to skip the running shoes. I have broken in the Keene's and think that they will do fine on the air flight as well.

Do experienced travelers agree, that I can skip the runners.?

I will take some simple open sandals for dinner.

Bath, Canada
10. Re: What to bring? What to bring?

I bought Keene closed toe sandals for our Feb. Safari and am hoping to skip the running shoes. I have broken in the Keene's and think that they will do fine on the air flight as well.

Do experienced travelers agree, that I can skip the runners.?

I will take some simple open sandals for dinner.