We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nairobi CBD

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
55 posts
10 reviews
Nairobi CBD

Hi everyone

I've read different discussions on this, but it is hard to gauge. I was thinking of ending a safari trip with a short stay in Nairobi. In addition to some sights outside the city center, is it reasonably safe (or even enjoyable) to wander around the city center by yourself? Thanks for any advice.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
35 reviews
1. Re: Nairobi CBD

I wander about Nairobi during the day by myself all the time. I am a White British male 37. Never had a problem, though do get plenty people giving me stories to try get some cash out my pocket but that is all. Get approached by the odd street kid as well but I either ignore them or give them a 10 bob coin.

I love wandering around Nairobi.

London,Kenya and...
Level Contributor
57 posts
90 reviews
2. Re: Nairobi CBD

Follow usual safety precautions over cash and cameras and areas and generally the CBD is safe to walk around as there are also alot of police around.The area from parliament buildings to the Hilton and generally that area are extremely safe.If you do get some hassle just ignore it and walk on or head for the nearest shop or try to blend it as a local mzungu.

Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,479 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Nairobi CBD

I agree, the CBD is much safer than it was in the 90s, or even a few years ago. And with the issue of terrorism always in the air, you can be sure there's nearly always some security guard or other standing in a shop doorway, watching out for anything dodgy. Even nightlife in the CBD has woken up in the last two or three years - lots of clubs and people on the streets, which have some decent lighting now.

You still meet locals who live and work in suburbs like Karen, haven't been into the CBD for years, and think it's a no-go zone. And you can bump into people in hotels like the Intercontinental who literally never set foot outside - just step from the lobby into a cab.

So go forth and enjoy - great views from the KICC, National Archives, Kenyatta Avenue. You'd probably take a cab to the museum, as it's jus a bit far and in a slightly more uncertain area. And do need to be very streetwise - it's not a city for dreamy strolls. And never carry around anything valuable that you don't need with you.

Richard Trillo

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
55 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Nairobi CBD

Thank you! Just the realistic perspective I was looking for...

5. Re: Nairobi CBD

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 24, 2014