We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo female traveller - Where to stay advice please

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 32
Solo female traveller - Where to stay advice please

Hi All,

I'm a solo female traveller coming to Africa for the first time in a few weeks, trip is being planned last minute! My flight from London arrives into Nairobi at 21:50 on a Wednesday, I then have time to explore Nairobi until 18:00 on Friday when I join a group safari tour for 8 days.

1) Hotel - looking for a nice hotel in a safe area which ideally will allow me to walk around outside in the day and explore and have shops, bars, restaurants close by. Breakfast is important so either the hotel serves a good western breakfast or places I can get breakfast within walking distance and if there is wi-fi even better. Hotel doesn't have to be top end luxury but I do like to be comfortable! I had shortlisted the following: Sankara, Fairview, Sarova Stanley, Nairobi Serena, Intercontinental - thoughts please?

2) I usually explore cities on foot but have never travelled alone before so am a little nervous! Some things I'm interested in doing are Shopping - aside from local handicrafts shops are there malls which are good? I'm used to London so know I maybe a little spoilt but I like strolling round people watching and architecture, are the government buildings worth walking round? I'm also thinking of visiting the KICC Tower, where can I find info on this? I'm not interested in seeing/visiting animal places as I'll be going out on Safari do you have any other suggestions of how to fill my time?

3) Restaurants/Bars - Any reasonable restaurants serving western/Italian food with a nice view? I like nice bars, I saw a post on the roof top bar at Sankara any others?

I normally spend months reading other peoples postings on TA and get my info from that but time is short, thanks in advance LF

Nairobi, Kenya
1. Re: Solo female traveller - Where to stay advice please

Hi LF

Try comfort hotel or Hilton hotel

they are all in the CBD

with a great Restaurants/Bars also the are some Clubs Near them

2. Re: Solo female traveller - Where to stay advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:55 am, February 18, 2013
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
3. Re: Solo female traveller - Where to stay advice please

1. Hotel in Westlands is a good location for all the things to want to do.

Sankara is a exclusive, luxury hotel with a matching price tag.

Other options in Westlands:

Mayfair Inn (formerly Holiday inn)

tsogosunhotels.com/hotels/…overview.aspx

Pride Inn

http://www.prideinn.co.ke/

Jacaranda Hotel

http://www.jacarandahotels.com/

2. Plenty of Curio shops in Westland & town. Perfectly safe to walk around but not at night.

3. For italian, Tratorria & Mediterraneo

mediterraneorestaurant.co.ke/html/home.htm

Nairobi, Kenya
4. Re: Solo female traveller - Where to stay advice please

Hotel Intercontinental has a nice Italian restaurant within, internet access and is in the 'upmarket' area of Nairobi Central Business District. Considering you want to go for shopping, Westlands would be ideal since it has a great shopping mall, Westgate. This is slightly outside the main town but is like a town itself. Sankara then would be the other option.

Nairobi, Kenya
5. Re: Solo female traveller - Where to stay advice please

KICC is near the Hotel Intercontinental (Uptown), Hilton (City Centre) and Sarova Stanley Hotel (City Centre)

London, United...
reviews: 32
6. Re: Solo female traveller - Where to stay advice please

Thanks for all your responses and info, I booked Sarova Stanley, total cost of GBP 235 including breakfast & taxes plus free wi-fi, very good reviews on TA and was cheaper than Intercontinental, Mayfair Inn etc.

Nairobi, Kenya
7. Re: Solo female traveller - Where to stay advice please

Karibu (Welcome)

Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 2
8. Re: Solo female traveller - Where to stay advice please

Welcome and enjoy Kenya's hospitality....cheers!!!

Nairobi
9. Re: Solo female traveller - Where to stay advice please

If you are a budget traveler, Kenya Comfort Hotel will be an ideal . Sarova Stanley and Hilton are also in good location.

10. Re: Solo female traveller - Where to stay advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 20, 2014