We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 days in Kenya

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 59
8 days in Kenya

My husband and I are traveling to Kenya on short notice, but we will only have 8 days total in the country. I am taking my camera (I'm an intermediate photog with a serious telephoto lens) and would like opportunities for photography.

I had initially hoped to stay at Giraffe Manor for 1 night and then travel onwards to Masai Mara or anyplace else to see wildlife withiny time constraints.

Does anybody have a suggested itinerary or could anyone please point me in the best direction for me to do further research? Thank you! So excited!!

16 replies to this topic
1. Re: 8 days in Kenya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 am, January 14, 2013

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
2. Re: 8 days in Kenya

In 8 days you can quite comfortably go to Mt Kenya, Lake Nakuru then to the Mara (in that order). Spending 2 days at each location.

Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 2
3. Re: 8 days in Kenya

8 days is a standard safari in kenya, overnight in Nairobi, Samburu 2 nights, sweetwaters 1 night, Lake Nakuru 1 night the Mara 2 nights is a perfect program..all the best in your planning!!!

Nairobi, Kenya
4. Re: 8 days in Kenya

I agree with the above two posters.

You could possibly do Meru, Samburu & Sweetwaters with two nights at each location or even Sweetwaters 1 night, Samburu 2 nights, Nakuru 1 night and Mara 2 Nights and the first night can be spent in Nairobi for orientation.

Another option would be to do 3 nights samburu and 3 nights Maasai mara, flying between the two places. Another option 2 Nights Amboseli, 2 Nights Samburu and 2 nights Maasai mara all flying.

Choices are many if your budget allows.

Nairobi, Kenya
5. Re: 8 days in Kenya

Hi Edge Of Existence :)

As a photographer, I presume you'd like to capture the different aspects of the country? The first day you may spend in Nairobi and visit the Giraffe Centre (get to feed and kiss the giraffes) and Karen Blixen Museum , with dinner at the Carnivore Restaurant . The next day you may proceed to the tree lodge (The Treetops) where Queen Elizabeth visited as a princess and left as a queen? Here you have opportunity to take closeup photos of the animals as they go to the watering hole.

Then proceed to Sweetwaters, where you will get a different experience with the chimpanzees. Next visit Lake Nakuru, highlighted by the flamingoes and wildlife. Finally end your trip with a trip to the majestic Masai Mara and experience the ultimate safari.

nyc
6. Re: 8 days in Kenya

If driving, 2/nts at ex. Samburu or Masai Mara is ridiculous as by the time you arrive you'll only have 1/full day any of these... then another long drive to next destination. At minimum 3/nts in the Mara.

With 8/days, and the 1st nt being in Nairobi, leaves only 7/nts. I wouldn't visit more than 3/areas... Amboseli or Samburu, definitely the Masai Mara and maybe Nanyuki for stay at Sweetwater's. And with the distances between even these 3 areas driving will be exhausting... suggest you fly.

Regarding the Giraffe Manor, even if they have space and not knowing your budget, their rate is in the $450+/pp whether B&B, HB or FB. You can just as easily see the giraffes with a visit to the Giraffe Center on the same grounds as the Manor.

New York City, New...
reviews: 59
7. Re: 8 days in Kenya

Thank you guys so much for your input. It's really greatly appreciated - and I'm certain I'll be able to plan a great trip using it. Thanks!

Nairobi, Kenya
8. Re: 8 days in Kenya

Karibu (Welcome)

Nairobi
9. Re: 8 days in Kenya

Mount Kenya region, a visit to Ol Pejeta, Solio Rhino Sanctuary, Lake Bogoria for Lamingos and Maasai Mara or Samburu . Amboseli is also good if you would like to capture Kilimanjaro.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 4
10. Re: 8 days in Kenya

People have mentioned Lake Nakuru for flamingos, but for the past two years there have been very few flamingos there - and since very heavy rains towards the end of last year, the numbers are down to a few hundred so it's pretty disappointing if you want pink masses.

Nearly all Kenya's lesser flamingos are currently massed at Lake Bogoria (as David Attenborough pointed out in his latest series just the other day!).

Richard Trillo

Reply to: 8 days in Kenya
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted