We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa at the airport?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sarasota
Visa at the airport?

My wife and I are traveling from the USA to Kenya with a tour group.

We understand that a visa is necessary.

Our friend just returned from a trip to Kenya in November 2012, and they purchased their visas at the airport for a $50 fee for a single entry.

We need a multiple entry, but the prices for these visas are so much more when done through an agency.

Should we get the visa at the airport, or is it best to use an agency?

Thanks

Steven

manchester, United...
reviews: 44
1. Re: Visa at the airport?

I don't believe you can get mutiple entry visas at the airport. These are only available from the embassy.

Nairobi
reviews: 14
2. Re: Visa at the airport?

Why do you need multiple Visas in the first place? You can get your visa straight at the point of entry at only $50 and no photos required.Just print your application form and fill it up for presentation at the point of entry.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 46
3. Re: Visa at the airport?

As said above you cannot get a multiple entry visa at the airport they have to be obtained in advance from an Embassy or High Commission.

Also as above why do you need a multi-trip visa? If you are paying a short visit to one of the other East African Community countries such as Tanzania or Uganda the single trip visa covers your re-entry to Kenya

London, United...
reviews: 4
4. Re: Visa at the airport?

hei there,

yes the above has said there is no need to get a multiple visa if only going for a short stay. it will only take a few minutes to obtain your visa on arrival, just make sure you carry $50 or the equivalent in pound sterling. Although if you want a multiple visa you can always visit your nearest Kenyan embassy or high commission

Sarasota
5. Re: Visa at the airport?

Thanks for the info, but I am confused.

We are going to enter Kenya and do a 13 day Safari. Then we are going to spend 4 days in Tanzania, and RE-ENTER Kenya for the flight home.

Therefore, I need a Tanzania visa and a MULTIPLE entry visa for Kenya as I am entering more than ONCE.

Am I wrong in this line of thinking?

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia
6. Re: Visa at the airport?

Yes you are wrong. There's an agreement between East African countries (mentioned above by Doffcocker) that means you can go into Tanzania and back into Kenya on the same Kenyan single entry visa. You'll also need a single entry for Tanzania (also available on arrival).

No need for a multiple entry visa based on your plans.

Sarasota
7. Re: Visa at the airport?

Thanks for clearing this up.

Now the question as to whether to get the visa upon arrival in Kenya, thereby cutting out the middleman and sending my passport off somewhere.

Is it difficult or very crowded to get the visa at the airport?

I will be arriving in Kenya Sept 5th.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 46
8. Re: Visa at the airport?

Hi,

It is easy to get the visa on arrival, it helps if you download and complete the form in advance (see the FAQ on the right of this page for download links) this saves time and hassle at the airport and gets you in the queue quicker. How long it takes is a matter of chance Its probably usually somewhere between 20 and 40 minutes, but it takes a similar time for the bags to come though anyway. If a number of planes with big groups or parties land at the same time it can take longer, I've heard occasional stories of very long waits, on the other hand I came through in 3 minutes last week and 5 minutes the time before. (If there is a big queue if you back of the the table where the blank forms are and look along the corridor you can see where the other immigration desks are, and see if it looks quieter)

Maryland, USA
reviews: 9
9. Re: Visa at the airport?

I agree with the others. Get your visa on arrival and have no worries about added costs for photos and Express Mail, which the embassies seem to prefer, and about whether you'll ever see your passport again after you've mailed it away. Hopefully the wait on arrival will be reasonable. Make sure you have newish bills (2006 and up) in good condition for the fees.

Sarasota
10. Re: Visa at the airport?

OK, one more time because I am S-L-O-W!

I am going from 13 days in Kenya, across the border for 5 days into Tanzania, and then back into Kenya for the flight back to the USA.

I now understand that I can get the Kenya visa at the airport, and it is good for coming and going...but, what about the Tanzania visa? Can I get that at the airport also, or do I not need one as I am in the TOUR Group?

The tour company tells me that I need a visa for Kenya and Tanzania..will the visa I get in Kenya be good only for Kenya (sounds logical), so can I also get a visa for Tanzania at the border crossing, or must I get it here in the US?

Sorry for not fully understanding this, but both the tour company and the company that they hire to get the visas for us do not know as much info as you guys. They told me I needed a multiple entry visa, so that is why I am clarifying and re-clarifying.

Thanks