We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 9
Where to stay?

We have two nights in Nairobi before leaving from Wilson airport for a 5 night stay at Mara Explorer in the Masai Mara. We dont arrive until around 2pm (from Australia) so wont be doing much that day and the next day plan on visiting the Giraffe Centre, Elephant Orphange and would like to buy a few local craft items. Our flight from Wilson the next morning is at 10 am. Advice would be welcome on where would be best to stay based on our plans, so far I've come up with The Boma or The Eka hotel. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 4
11. Re: Where to stay?

I would pre-book, with Kenatco, or someone similar with a good reputation and a web presence and published fares. Saturday noon should be relatively quiet, but you can never be sure. The trip could take as little as 20 minutes with clear roads, but equally it could take you that long to get out of Wilson and across Langata Road to join the traffic heading east to Nyayo Roundabout. And another half hour to crawl the 2km down to Nyayo roundabout… And another half hour to get to JKIA…

I would allow 1 hour minimum. And then be very happy to get there in 30 minutes!

Richard Trillo

Brisbane, Australia
12. Re: Where to stay?

Thanks Richard, I will definetly book something in advance. Fortunately we have quite of bit of time up our sleeve should traffic be a problem.

Thanks all for your help.

Catherine.

Mombasa, Kenya
13. Re: Where to stay?

My MIL in Nairobi uses Jatco if she does not want to go somewhere by car herself, she is happy as they come on time, good vehicles and quite friendly drivers. Fares are all set in advance.

www.jatcotaxis.com/modules/home/index.php

Kenatco suggested by Richard http://www.kenatco.com/ I haven't used the for many years though

Have a lovely stay in Kenya!

nyc
14. Re: Where to stay?

On recent visit we arrived Wilson at 12:15pm and were heading to The Fairview... the drive took less than 15/min vs always longer to properties in Karen. Surprised for sure.

mole - unless you're booking hotel in NBO, the flights to/from Mara and likewise the Explorer Camp yourself, where the Taxi services mentioned above would work... if tour outfitter handled those bookings for you, tthey can arrange the transfer from Wilson to JKIA. Drive time, always traffic dependent, can be as short as 25/ min... but midday more likely 1+/hrs.

Brisbane, Australia
15. Re: Where to stay?

Thanks again, I have done all the bookings myself so will definetly arrange a prebooked cab for the transfer between airports. Very much looking forward to our trip, have been to South Africa previously but first time to Kenya!

Oakland, CA
reviews: 150
16. Re: Where to stay?

next time in Nairobi i want to stay nr Westlands, and found Miti Mingi guethouse on TA. MUCH more reasonably priced than any other places listed above., and looks like a great peaceful place to recuperate from jet lag.

Anyone else on here know it?

Nairobi
17. Re: Where to stay?

Eka Hotel is very close to the main road [ Mombasa Road] so you might night have that peace of mind there. The Boma is great, and they donate directly to the Kenya Red Cross, the better reason why you should stay there. Great food, nice rooms and one of the best 5* in Nairobi.

S.

18. Re: Where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 20, 2014