We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 9
Where to stay?

We have two nights in Nairobi before leaving from Wilson airport for a 5 night stay at Mara Explorer in the Masai Mara. We dont arrive until around 2pm (from Australia) so wont be doing much that day and the next day plan on visiting the Giraffe Centre, Elephant Orphange and would like to buy a few local craft items. Our flight from Wilson the next morning is at 10 am. Advice would be welcome on where would be best to stay based on our plans, so far I've come up with The Boma or The Eka hotel. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
1. Re: Where to stay?

As you want to visit the Giraffe Park & Elllie Orphanage, can i suggest Karen Blixen Cottages (since it's same vicinity). Plenty of Curio shops there too.

www.karenblixencoffeegarden.com/cottages.html

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 144
2. Re: Where to stay?

Mara Explorer is a great choice. Nice camp, with very nice staff. The manager there - Steve is very personable.

For Nairobi, I would agree with Stef on staying in Karen.

Some other options would include Ngong House or House of Waine.

Eka and The Boma are very business type hotels. The ones on Karen are more for tourists, relaxed, refined, etc.

Edited: 7:05 am, January 10, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
3. Re: Where to stay?

Thanks for your suggestions, will have a look into them. We were originally going to stay in the city but then realised there really is no need to.

Mombasa, Kenya
4. Re: Where to stay?

Have you tried Aeroclub of East Africa? It is actually inside Wilson Airport - a fun place with great atmosphere. We had a couple of guests who stayed there during their Nairobi stop over, one is an active member here on TA :)

http://www.aeroclubea.com/facilities.htm

I have never stayed there but spent many an evening in their bar in my days of working at Wilson! You will be in close proximity to all places you want to visit and near your departure gate so to speak, so no early morning and traffic jam to get to the airport on time! :)

Have a super stay in Kenya!

nyc
5. Re: Where to stay?

While the AeroClub is great if arriving late with an early flight next morning, but I sure wouldn't for 2/nts. Except for their restaurant/bar... most here is the airport and other commercial buildings.

Places in Karen would be ideal, budget dependent.

- Karen Blixen Cottages, nice large cottages, pool, though their restaurant isn't all that good.

- House of Waine, lovely large rooms, great grounds/pool, restaurant good

- Hogmead, new and can be a tad expensive, but amazing rooms, lovely grounds, pool and great restaurant.

- Ngong House, tree houses, as above a bit pricey, pool, great food services.

- Hemingways, new and expensive, haven't been (just opened) but seems quite amazing.

- Giraffe Manor, also expensive whether B&B, HB or FB, same price; often booked a year in advance

- Emakoko, new at the National Park, great reivews... some feel it's even better than Giraffe Manor.

- Macushla House, small, priced right, lovely gardens, pool, needs some refurbishing.

Sankara (in Westland), relative new, priced well, pool

- Tribe (farther afield in Gigiri, where the Embassies located), priced well, rather large-lots of rooms, benefit is that the Village Market shopping center here, pool, though a distance from sights that would be of interest.

- The Fairview... great standby, very well priced - at Upper Hill, amazing grounds, pool, lots of eateries.

Though there is major construction on Langata Road (who ever knows when this will be completed) believe most hotels in Karen probably all have to transit this way with some delay. However, we gave ourselves 1.5/hrs from House of Waine to Wilson and had time to spare, arriving well in advance of flight departure to the Mara.

Check these web sites to see which might work. Good luck!

Mombasa, Kenya
6. Re: Where to stay?

4samdi, I suggested Aeroclub simply because of convenience and mole wanting to do things mostly outside the hotel. If budget allows you made some great suggestions, I would however not stay anywhere far from Wilson, Fairview is the furthest I would venture to simply because traffic towards that side of town and Wilson from anywhere further afield could be bad in the morning. There is also quite a number of new hotels now in Upper Hills - not bad connectivity to Wilson either.

Brisbane, Australia
7. Re: Where to stay?

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions, it's a big help. I'll check all the places you advised today 4sandi (I have to admit I do like a bit of comfort), and thanks for the advice on the roadworks. Happy New Year to you all!

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 4
8. Re: Where to stay?

If you can afford it, The Emakoko is a) one of the best hotels in Nairobi with excellent food, lovely rooms and a beautiful environment, and b) the most convenient for JKIA and Wilson at any time of day or night. They're allowed to transfer guests after the park has closed, and transfers and full-on game drives in the park are included in the price. Because it's located on the south side of the national park, you can get from the lodge to anywhere in Karen by popping out through Langata gate and straight to JKIA/Wilson by using East Gate. And you get fantastic wildife - lots of rhinos (black and white), lions, hundreds of buffalo and other grazers - rather than traffic jams.

Nairobi Tented Camp is also very good - inside the park but at the west end.

Richard Trillo

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 21
9. Re: Where to stay?

Depending on your budget, the Fairview is very very nice and there are some curio stores around.

We also stayed at The Jacaranda hotel in the Westlands area.

Nearby the Sarit Centre have a couple of very well priced curio/souvenier shops within. There is also a large number of kerbside shops selling curios.

Read my posts on both hotels posted in June 2012.

Have fun!!

Brisbane, Australia
10. Re: Where to stay?

Some great suggestions, thanks again, now just to make a decision! One more question, when we fly back from the Masai Mara into Wilson we need to transfer straight away to the International Airport, how long approx. does the trip take and should we prebook a taxi or are they readily available? (It will be around noon on a Saturday).