We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nairobi taxi

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Zealand
Level Contributor
81 posts
12 reviews
Nairobi taxi

Hello,

Could someone inform me about taxi safety at nairobi airport.

Are there bogus taxi's waiting around the airport that need to be avoided and if so how do I identify legitimate taxi firms.

I will be arriving in daylight, I am a women travelling solo.Could you tell me where the taxi stand is ,in relation to leaving the building as I would like to be able to make a beeline for it.

Thanks

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
1. Re: Nairobi taxi

If you are concerned you could always book one in advance. I have used this company-

http://www.nairobiairporttransfers.com/

They were waiting for me with a sign on arrival. I was transferring to Wilson airport and they charged $20 (I think it's the same into town) which seems to be about the going rate if you get one from the stand.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
81 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: Nairobi taxi

Thanks stokeygirl I will contact the company to arrange a transfer.

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
607 posts
3. Re: Nairobi taxi

Hi, if you do not do it in advance, you can always book a taxi on arrival at the arrival hall (after customs). There are booths for official taxis, a job will be assigned to a registered vehicle and you can take a number of their office and airport coordinator as well. Airport authorities are getting strict about taxis and which ones can operate out of the airports, so you should be safe with the official registered taxi.

Enjoy your stay in Kenya!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
384 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Nairobi taxi

I second Tijara on the idea of no need of early booking.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
81 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: Nairobi taxi

Thankyou Tijara and jones j_12,that is good to know as well.

Cheers

6. Re: Nairobi taxi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:05 am, January 11, 2013
London England
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
7. Re: Nairobi taxi

Does anyone know what has happened to Jimcabs in Nairobi? They used to be very reliable, and their website seems to allow online booking and has many telephone numbers listed -- but I am not getting through online, by email or phone ....

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
704 posts
30 reviews
8. Re: Nairobi taxi

I used Jimcabs in early August. At that time their responses were vey timely.

9. Re: Nairobi taxi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:31 pm, November 05, 2013
Nairobi
11 posts
10. Re: Nairobi taxi

Taxis operating at the JKIA are registered and safe. They are painted yellow like those in NYC and and have JKIA numbers for easy identification. You can still book one at the customs as Tajara advised.

There are no bogus Taxis at the airport, be assured of that.