We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking recommendations for tours to Masai areas

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Seeking recommendations for tours to Masai areas

I will be in Nairobi for a couple of weeks and am beginning to plan for the trip. I would like to get the "full African experience", including a visit / tour to the Masai villages near Tanzania. I am travelling solo.

Any recommendations? How many days is adequate?

Thanks.

Allentown...
1. Re: Seeking recommendations for tours to Masai areas

A "full African experience" is relative of what your preferences and ideas are of Africa. Africa is diverse, and not limited to Kenya and Tanzania or the Maasai and its visiting it villages. You also have Egyptians who are "Africans" technically. Get a guide book on Kenya and Tanzania to get your started.

There are several "Masai areas" Some of park areas are Amboseli, Masai Mara in Kenya to Ngorongoro and Serengeti in Tanzania.

Traveling solo can be challenging if you are on budget. Ideal option would be join a group safari to save on costs or on a higher budget, you need to fly into each destination.

A good period to East Africa - Kenya and Tanzania is between 12- 14 days.

Visram

AfricanMecca Safaris

Nairobi, Kenya
2. Re: Seeking recommendations for tours to Masai areas

Depending on your own time and pocket there is no time limit. kenya is full of wonders.

new york
3. Re: Seeking recommendations for tours to Masai areas

Thank you. Yes, I know that Africa is a huge and very varied continent. I should have mentioned that I'm seeking an east African experience - not Egypt, morocco, nor Cape Town.

nyc
4. Re: Seeking recommendations for tours to Masai areas

Still get a guidebook for either Kenya or Tanzania or both.

Know the areas, decide which are of interest and then design an itinerary. Know though that trying to visit both, the distances even within each country can be longer than they appear on a map, so flying might have to be considered.

Both countries require Visas that can be purchased on arrival. USD$50 for Kenya, USD$100 for US passport holders for Tanzania. And if crossing from Kenya to Tanzania you'll also require a Yellow Fever inoculation and proof of same for entry.

When in a couple of weeks? If over Christmas/New Years know these are the most expensive times with prices to match. High prices remain in Tanzania thru mid-March, though somewhat lower in Kenya depending on where and which month?

And for a solo travelers there's the single supplement.

You've got some research to do to pull this together... get started.

Contact a few outfitters from the KATO (Kenya) site or TATOTZ (Tanzania) who can assist you with routing, booking accommodations, provide guide/vehicle if choosing to drive, or flights if flying.

Good luck!

Colorado Springs...
5. Re: Seeking recommendations for tours to Masai areas

I am too visiting kenya in February and planning a safari to masai.Although my native home is kenya I have been in US for like 10 years but still have good connections in Nairobi rental tours

Colorado Springs...
6. Re: Seeking recommendations for tours to Masai areas

Two to three weeks sounds reasonable.I leave denver Feb 10 and back to denver march 1st

7. Re: Seeking recommendations for tours to Masai areas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, December 21, 2013