We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sponsoring a Kenyian child for secondary school in Nairobi

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 29
Sponsoring a Kenyian child for secondary school in Nairobi

Hi,

There is a local school in the Kibera slum area of Nairobi I have been following and watching for awhile. Recently after a visit, I decided I would like to fund secondary school for one of the kids who is eligible. I'm looking for some information about the cost of secondary schools here from other sources. My understanding is that secondary 'day-school' cost about 15000KES per term in Kenya. Plus about 5000KES for uniforms in the beginning. Does anyone know if this is correct ? Any info and help would be greatly appreciated : )

Thank you, ian

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 46
1. Re: Sponsoring a Kenyian child for secondary school in Nairobi

Hi,

You might find this thread on the subject from a couple of months ago useful

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294206-i9216-k5…

perth
reviews: 25
2. Re: Sponsoring a Kenyian child for secondary school in Nairobi

I sponser a boy who will be in grade 6 next Jan in a school in Kilifi which is on the coast my cost are 22,900 18,400 18,400 for the year plus 8,000 for his books.to break this down it includes 3,000 per term for lunch and 5,400 for transport to take and bring him.1st term includes an admission fee which is a once only per year and his p.e. uniform was 700 other uniform was about 5,000.

Hope this may be of some help in making your decision .

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
3. Re: Sponsoring a Kenyian child for secondary school in Nairobi

I hope you have read the thread Doff directed you to. I can't add much more than I said there!

I can't offer to help you to sponsor in Kibera because we are a long way away (in Western Kenya). We visit the students in school, discuss their progress with their teachers etc. We also visit their homes as part of our sponsorship scheme.

You MUST have someone on the ground who can oversee for you. You must also be willing to see the child right through. If you say to KCSE, that means 4 years of Secondary (more if he/she is currently in Primary.)

Also remember our school year is (currently!!) the calendar year. If you want to put a child into Form One in 2013, you have about a month toi get organised!!

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 29
4. Re: Sponsoring a Kenyian child for secondary school in Nairobi

Thank you all for the information. It has been very helpful and I am aware of the many steps and challenges this in-tales. Thank you again!!

Edited: 9:48 am, December 21, 2012
5. Re: Sponsoring a Kenyian child for secondary school in Nairobi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:35 pm, April 10, 2013
6. Re: Sponsoring a Kenyian child for secondary school in Nairobi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 12, 2014