We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenya cultural/volunteer tour options?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Aix-en-Provence...
Kenya cultural/volunteer tour options?

Hi everyone,

I am planning a trip to Kenya for a couple of friends, and I'm looking into cultural safars/volunteer tourism options. Does anyone know of any good packages that I can find? What can I expect and how much would I pay? Has anyone ever gone on one of these?

We are all a group of students, so we don't really want to spend too much time in the bush ;)

Thanks!

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 4
1. Re: Kenya cultural/volunteer tour options?

Camps International runs Camp Kenya, which is a programme of well-thought out volunteer activities followed /interspersed by leisure time in Kenya. Have a look at their website:

campsinternational.com/gap-year/…index.html

You'll find lots of reviews and endorsements online. As you'll see it's not cheap, and there are other, simpler options. One that I've recently heard about is Badilsha, on Rusinga island in Lake Victoria.

http://www.badilisha.net/apps/location/

Good luck, whatever you decide!

Richard Trillo

2. Re: Kenya cultural/volunteer tour options?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:24 am, December 09, 2012
Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 13
3. Re: Kenya cultural/volunteer tour options?

No touting for business allowed.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 45
4. Re: Kenya cultural/volunteer tour options?

From the forum guidelines:

"You cannot include:

Links, contact information, or recommendations for your business, even if your business or property would seem to be an ideal fit for a traveler's needs. Other forum members may recommend businesses or properties, but as an owner or representative you may not recommend your own business or property."

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
5. Re: Kenya cultural/volunteer tour options?

I'm not sure what you mean by "not wanting to spend too much time in the bush".

If you want to volunteer and/or experience local culture, you need to know how people really live and what their needs are.

A volunteer team which helps to protect a spring to provide clean water for a local community is doing something good. You can do this and still sleep in a bed in a brick building with indoor sanitation,, but maybe without electricity.!!

Nairobi
6. Re: Kenya cultural/volunteer tour options?

you can try visiting the cultural home in Kiambu called 'Roiki' or 'Rioki'....they do not have a website though, the focus here is on the kikuyu community of kenya. you can also visit some childrens homes where you can volunteer with your friends in activities such as teaching, food preparation, or any others. good luck with your tour.

Toronto, Canada
7. Re: Kenya cultural/volunteer tour options?

Hi there I just spent 4 weeks this past summer volunteering in kenya at an orphanage..... i went throught IVHQ, but they are conected with a local organization NVS I think its ( Network for Volunteer Services) Their head office is in Nairobi..... How long do you want to volunteer for? Even if you wanted a few days to a week i know they provide some cool programs.... Even if it was just for a day maybe you coukd join onto their feeding program through Kibera? All depends what you are looking for.... if you want more info private msg me :) I have a video of my experience if you want to check it out,,,, I also have a blog.... Youtube " Kaila in Kenya" or google it :)

8. Re: Kenya cultural/volunteer tour options?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 am, January 03, 2013
New York City, New...
9. Re: Kenya cultural/volunteer tour options?

I'm seconding working with Network for Voluntary Services (NVS). Google it, I think it would be what you're looking for.

10. Re: Kenya cultural/volunteer tour options?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 12, 2014