We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nairobi to Mombassa by road

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle...
Nairobi to Mombassa by road

Hello,

Any insights into if it is even worthwhile to attempt to take a road trip from Nairobi to Mombassa? I hear it is about 300 miles and can take 6-8 hrs. Last time we just flew but this time we are considering taking a road trip to save on airline tickets but only if the journey is ok (roads are decent, enough things to do along the way so we can have a break etc). I am travelling with 2 kids (4 and 8) and 2 elderly parents.

Also suggestions for good hotels in Mombassa would be great. I think we stayed in the Sands (?) last time and i want something on par or better.

Thanks again..

Bucks
reviews: 2
21. Re: Nairobi to Mombassa by road

Are you kidding?

Kids LOVE bunks beds on a train, it doesn't get any better than that for them, and this is an overnight train ride across Africa. Wow, something to write home about.

Of course, if all you want is a bag of nuts on a plane then you could experience this anywhere, without the hassle of going all the way to Africa. Just eat a bag of nuts on a flight near you. Exactly the same boring non-experience, exactly the same airprots and Boeings, but cheaper and closer, gets you back home sitting in front of the TV all the sooner... ;0)

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 50
22. Re: Nairobi to Mombassa by road

Absolutely take your point, and definitely intend to do the train sometime, just for the experience. I love rail travel.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
23. Re: Nairobi to Mombassa by road

I took the train to MBA long, long time ago (when KR was under management of local authority), it was fun, also b'cz we were in a group of friends.

Even under new management, long delays (for upto 12 hrs) is'nt unheard of !!

24. Re: Nairobi to Mombassa by road

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 pm, December 17, 2013