We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nairobi - willing to bring items

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Miami, Florida...
Nairobi - willing to bring items

Hi i am trying to get a load of footballs (soccer balls) to Nairobi for a camp that is starting on the 12th of december. I am located in Miami/South Florida area and would very much be grateful if someone is willing to bring an extra load with them. I have a friend in Nairobi who will be able to receive them once there. It will probably be about 20-30 deflated balls which will fit in a case similar in size to a larger piece of luggage. Thank you very much

Fordingbridge...
reviews: 159
1. Re: Nairobi - willing to bring items

To avoid any problems with Customs, make sure that you carry the footballs in an actual suitcase. I speak from a bitter experience in September!

Good luck.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 29
2. Re: Nairobi - willing to bring items

I took a bunch of soccer balls/footballs with me to Kenya last summer. For anyone willing to transport them, they weigh about 1 lb., so keep that in mind relative to your luggage allowance. Also, 20 or 30 will take up quite a bit of space, even when deflated. I took mine in a sports duffle bag mixed in with all of my clothing and other personal effects. Anything going over there as a donation should have some documentation with it in the event they must claim upon arrival into Kenya. I had a letter from the charity where I was donating so as to avoid any issues at the airport.

Fordingbridge...
reviews: 159
3. Re: Nairobi - willing to bring items

I also had an official letter from the charity concerned. However, as there was 80 kgs of children's clothes they were boxed, rather than in suitcases. I therefore spent a very unpleasant 30 minutes trying to sweet talk a very grumpy customs official. That's why I stressed the need to put the balls in a suitcase or equivalent.

manchester, United...
reviews: 48
4. Re: Nairobi - willing to bring items

Footballs are very expensive in Kenya so bear in mind that if you are stopped and have to pay duty you could be hit with a very hefty bill. We always take footballs but split them so that no one individual has more than a couple in their luggage. I think taking them all in one bag is an invitation to customs officials...........

manchester, United...
reviews: 48
5. Re: Nairobi - willing to bring items

Also to avoid paying duty, officially, the charity has to be registered with the Kenyan authorities as exempt from duty. Exemption is notoriously hard to get and only one school I have shipped stuff to had this status. A simple letter from the charity won't hack it unless the charity has that coveted "exemption" status.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 29
6. Re: Nairobi - willing to bring items

I also had one large duffel bag with only stuff for donation . . . children's jerseys, shorts and some of the balls . . . for the Nyumbani Children's Home. The letter was on the Nyumbani ("The Children of God Relief Institute") letterhead which indicates they are a "Registered charity in Kenya, USA, UK, Italy, Ireland & Spain". In it, their executive director requested relief from the taxes, which was honored upon my arrival.

So for the reference of future visitors to Nairobi, it would appear that this charity is one to consider as recognized by the Kenyan authorities.

p.s. The other balls that I took were for the David Sheldrick elephant orphanage and for other children I met along my journey. These balls were in with my personal clothing, etc. as the duffel bag for Nyumbani was complete and left with them (no reason to sort through it).

7. Re: Nairobi - willing to bring items

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, December 17, 2013