We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nairobi airport connection time?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
reviews: 105
Nairobi airport connection time?

Hi there, I am flying Qatar into Nairobi and need to book an onward connection on a different airline to Kilimanjaro (looks like the options are either Precision Air or Kenya Airways). I am wondering if 2 hours between the flights is sufficient time to make the connection. Would I need to clear customs and immigration and pick up my checked luggage and re-check in for the 2nd flight? If so, am I considered as "entering" Kenya for which a visa would be required (its required for Taiwan passport holders which my friend is)? Thanks!!

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 147
1. Re: Nairobi airport connection time?

Hi.

Two hours is plenty. There is no need to clear Immigration and collect your bags. Just ask Qatar Airways to interline your baggage, so that it is checked through to Kilimanjaro.

When you arrive at NBO, head to the transfer desk for KQ, and show them the luggage tags, and also ask for your onwards boarding pass.

Very quick and very easy.

nyc
2. Re: Nairobi airport connection time?

I'd use Precision Air (PW) who has a few flights a day non-stop (50/min) to JRO. PW is the code-share of Kenya Air (KQ).

Follow directions as roadwarriorafrica mentions above.

Singapore
reviews: 105
3. Re: Nairobi airport connection time?

Thank you both! I went with Precision Ait as Sandi has suggested, but decided to leave more time in between just in case. But Road Warrior, that is good news if I can check baggage all the way through and be treated as just "transiting" as opposed to entering Kenya. Thanks for your tips!!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 50
4. Re: Nairobi airport connection time?

Just for info, KQ are the second biggest shareholder in Precision, they own 41%, they originally bought 49% from the founder who retained 51% but both their stakes were reduced slightly when they floated some shares on the Dar es Salaam Stock Exchange

Fort Lauderdale, FL
reviews: 27
5. Re: Nairobi airport connection time?

Be sure you are leaving from the Nairobi, not Wilson Airport. If you have to go to Wilson, you will be cutting it very close.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 147
6. Re: Nairobi airport connection time?

All international flights are from JKIA. Wilson is used predominantly for safari flights, as far as commercial flights are concerned.

Buckhorn, Canada
reviews: 31
7. Re: Nairobi airport connection time?

We flew from Nairobi Wilson to Kili last year with Fly540. So some international flights do leave from Wilson.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
8. Re: Nairobi airport connection time?

Wilson is now also doing Fly 540 to Kitale.

9. Re: Nairobi airport connection time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, December 17, 2013