We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

David Sheldrick elephant sanctuary Nairobi

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
milwaukee, wisconsin
reviews: 25
David Sheldrick elephant sanctuary Nairobi

I will be staying at the Nairobi tented camp for purposes of visitng the elephant sanctuary. I am a donor at Sheldrick's and am told by the tented camp that it will cost me $85 for a transfer over to the sanctuary and entry for a 5 pm - 6 pm visit. I thought they were on the same turf, so why the $85? We would also like to visit the 11 a.m. showing at the elephant orphanage. Does that mean another $85?? Would I normally be paying this much to do so? Can anybody provide information on this topic?

Thank you

Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
1. Re: David Sheldrick elephant sanctuary Nairobi

$85??? That's daylight robbery! Absolutely NOT! Tell them to get you a taxi instead. Jeez, I'd come and pick you up myself for half that price. But a Kenya citizen taxi driver coming in to pick you up, take you to Sheldrick and bring you back wouldn't charge anything near $85 - it would only cost him KES300 each time he goes into the park using a different gate. Please do ask them why they think that is a justifiable figure. I'm disgusted (as you can probably tell).

Edited: 8:17 am, November 27, 2012
Michigan
reviews: 53
2. Re: David Sheldrick elephant sanctuary Nairobi

I too am an ellie 'parent'. When I went to the orphanage in May, the suggested 'donation' for the 11-12n public visit was $7 USD. When I went back for the 5pm parent visit, there was no additional charge. Make sure you are scheduled for your private visit time at 5pm as they only allow a certain number of parents in at that time and they do check your name on the list. Have a great time. I really enjoyed the two visits are they are very different.

Laurena

milwaukee, wisconsin
3. Re: David Sheldrick elephant sanctuary Nairobi

Thank you very much. They also included in the $85 "entry fee," but I wondered about that. If I am a donor, why would there be an "entry fee?"

I will get this sorted out.

Another problem is: How do I get on the 5 pm donor list? I cannot find a contact e-mail to use for the Sheldrick sanctuary.

Thanks so much!

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 150
4. Re: David Sheldrick elephant sanctuary Nairobi

Best way to contact is by email rc-h@africaonline.co.ke

Even if you are a donor, any extra helps a long way, so if you can pay, please do.

nyc
5. Re: David Sheldrick elephant sanctuary Nairobi

There was, about a year or two back some idea that even for those entering Sheldrick at 11am or those at 5pm would have to also pay the National Park Fee which I believe was about $45/person. Well, that idea didn't last long and was soon stopped (if it ever went into effect). This might be what the camp is trying to charge you and they shouldn't be... so speak up.

For the 5pm visit, just email Sheldrick - advise the name of your chubby, date you plan to visit. You'll be put on the list for entry at the gate.

Perth, Australia
reviews: 29
6. Re: David Sheldrick elephant sanctuary Nairobi

The $85 will include $50 sponsorship for the pm visit. Just email them (NTC) and ask them to amend as you already sponsor. Also clarify am visit inclusion. We were on a package, all inclusive, but had the cost breakdown. I emailed DSWT myself to book in for pm visit, to be sure. Dont miss a safari into NNP, get up early, take breakfast and go on straight to Sheldricks to save time of returning to camp for breakfast.. NNP is a unique, amazing park given its location and the problems it faces.Im sure it is one of the best chances of seeing Black Rhino. We certainly hit the jackpot on our visit. Lucky you, we loved our short stay here.

SF
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu-Okinawa
reviews: 12
7. Re: David Sheldrick elephant sanctuary Nairobi

I second FLFourOneZero. Get a taxi with the arrangement for a later pick up. I wouldn't pay to a third party but pay directly to the Sheldrick, if you want to foster more. They will give your a sponsoring package with a picture and other brochures in their office. Since you already have been fostering, no extra charge. You just book your visit and enjoy!

Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
8. Re: David Sheldrick elephant sanctuary Nairobi

"If I am a donor, why would there be an "entry fee?""

There isn't, as amazinga has just said. I'm frequently at DSWT visiting my "babies" during evening viewing and have never, ever had to pay an entry fee. The entry fee, afaik, is only payable during public visiting hours and was last listed as 500/-. Sounds to me like Nairobi Tented Camp are royally taking the p*ss. Sorry.

milwaukee, wisconsin
9. Re: David Sheldrick elephant sanctuary Nairobi

Thank you very much to everyone who responded to my questions.

I did manage to find the e-mail on the Sheldrick website, but as usual with e-mails to some parts of Africa, my e-mail was returned as undeliverable and I cannot get through. I will try through an agent -- or perhaps I will have Nairobi Tented Camp set it up for me (I can imagine the fee!)

I really appreciate the feedback from those of you who have had experience with this. I also appreciate the suggestion of doing a safari in Nairobi National Park - it wasn't on my radar screen (I was only thinking of staying at the Nairobi tented camp as a base to visit the Sheldrick orphanage).

Thank you!

Maryland
reviews: 28
10. Re: David Sheldrick elephant sanctuary Nairobi

My visit was easily arranged by emailing lina@sheldrickwildlifetrust.org. She is very responsive to requests.