We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Nairobi restaurant for local charm/food

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
reviews: 28
Best Nairobi restaurant for local charm/food

I'm looking for an authentic Kenyan restaurant where we'll get the local flavor and culture with top food. I would prefer to avoid the Americanized restaurants and would like to see where Kenyans go for a nice special occasion. Anything really stand out? We are staying at the Stanley, if location makes a difference.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
1. Re: Best Nairobi restaurant for local charm/food

Can i suggest the Talisman or Tamambo Karen Blixen Coffee Garden.

Typical Kenyan food comprises of Nyama Choma (BBQ), Spinach & Ugali

You certainly won't find these items in a top restaurant, perhaps a 'Fusion" of it.

..........if all else fails.......

go to the Carnivore for authentic carvery slowly cooked over hot charcoal.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 150
2. Re: Best Nairobi restaurant for local charm/food

For Kenyan food, try Amaica Restaurant.

Also have a look at www.eatout.co.ke

Nairobi, Kenya
3. Re: Best Nairobi restaurant for local charm/food

You won't find authentic local food at either Talisman or Tamambo. Talisman offers delicious fusion dishes cooked by a mzungu (white) chef for a primarily white clientele. No African dishes whatsoever. Tamambo is overpriced, the food quality appalling and the service glacially slow. There are a couple of "African" themed dishes on the menu but nothing properly "local". Go with RWA's suggestion above.

Carnivore does not serve authentic African food either, sorry to say - this is misinformed. It's a tourist attraction carvery. Locals do not eat the way customers do at Carnivore.

4. Re: Best Nairobi restaurant for local charm/food

Hey, you are staying at the Stanley.... There is a very nice local down kimathii street, just past the nation centre building.... You just have to walk..... Ask someone from the hotel to direct you.... 2 mins walking distance..... It's called ronalo's but we locals call it "k'osewe".... Meaning osewe's place 😊

Edited: 3:17 pm, November 26, 2012
5. Re: Best Nairobi restaurant for local charm/food

Hey, you are staying at the Stanley.... There is a very nice local down kimathii street, just past the nation centre building.... You just have to walk..... Ask someone from the hotel to direct you.... 2 mins walking distance..... It's called ronalo's but we locals call it "k'osewe".... Meaning osewe's place 😊

Edited: 3:18 pm, November 26, 2012
Nairobi
6. Re: Best Nairobi restaurant for local charm/food

I concur with ThevillageGal and RWA above, Amaica and Ronalo's would be the best offer for Authentic African dishes.

Enjoy your meals

Allan

Nairobi, Kenya
7. Re: Best Nairobi restaurant for local charm/food

I agreed with some voice Ronalo food it the place for Authentic African food and it's just 40 miters from Stanly hotel

Nairobi, Kenya
8. Re: Best Nairobi restaurant for local charm/food

Huh? Sorry eveline, but your post makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Near London
reviews: 54
9. Re: Best Nairobi restaurant for local charm/food

I was going to suggest Ranalo food. When I go next month, that is my 1st lunch sorted. Tilapia, Ugali & Chatchubbari washed down with a couple of cold Tuskers

Edited: 7:24 am, November 27, 2012
Nairobi, Kenya
10. Re: Best Nairobi restaurant for local charm/food

What is chatchubbari?