We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

anyone visited Karura Forest Nairobi

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
reviews: 29
anyone visited Karura Forest Nairobi

I've got a free day in Nairobi before emarking on a two week Kenya/Ugnada safari trip. Already have Sheldrick one afternoon. Looking for an outdoors 'absorb the beauty of Nairobi' experience. Is Karura a reasonable option?

What have others felt to be the best way to spend a day before safari. I would think a visit to Nairobi Game Park or animal orphan santuary would dilute the experience after leaving Nairobi.

11. Re: anyone visited Karura Forest Nairobi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:14 pm, December 14, 2012
Edited: 1:14 pm, December 14, 2012
UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 6
12. Re: anyone visited Karura Forest Nairobi

Well now I really don't know what you're saying. And I'm not keen on the personal comments - especially not from someone who remains anonymous and hasn't said very much on their profile. But I do respect your views – most of the time. Otherwise I'd ignore them.

But suddenly you're talking about these two young girls, in a horrific incident you haven't mentioned before, but without saying what transipired, or which forest it happened in. And you still go to the Ngong Road forest yourself to exercise your horses? Or, according to your last line, you don't… Which?

From the readers' point of view, there's always going to be a kind of consensus, whether we like it or not. It's just the averaged out impression that all our posts give, filtered through readers' individual personalities and viewpoints.

I don't doubt for a second that Nairobi can be a dangerous, unpredictable place where the rule of law has almost no meaning. I received several shocking readers' letters telling me jaw-dropping accounts of being mugged in the early 80s (it's been years since I've had anything like that and I put that down to traveller savviness). The city is permanently evolving, too, which makes it hard for anyone to keep tabs on every corner of it - even a local, but especially, as you say, someone based in the UK like me. But based on my own visits to the forests, and what you've told me so far, I'll be saying about these two forests: "seek advice before visiting, go in company, and if possible take an askari from the gate (at Oloolua) or the office (at Ngong Road Forest)" I think your advice (based on my Nairobi contacts and the local with whom I visited NRF who hadn't been for a while, and is very savvy, and had no views on security there), would be towards the extreme end of cautious. Which makes me wonder why you still live in Nairobi?!

And the Lavington Green carjacking? She was in the car park, behind the gates, when this happened? And they were assumed to be her staff as she drove them out of the shopping centre? Well that's a new one on naive old me… All the major shopping centres in Nairobi have significant security. So you think this could happen anywhere at all? Village Market? Sarit Centre? Why then do you think a mugging couldn't happen in the Karura Forest? Or literally anywhere?

Richard

13. Re: anyone visited Karura Forest Nairobi

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:00 pm, December 13, 2012
14. Re: anyone visited Karura Forest Nairobi

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:14 pm, December 14, 2012
15. Re: anyone visited Karura Forest Nairobi

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:59 pm, December 13, 2012
Edited: 12:59 pm, December 13, 2012
16. Re: anyone visited Karura Forest Nairobi

Removed on: 12:59 pm, December 13, 2012