We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daphne Sheldrick Elephant orphanage

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sutton
reviews: 4
Daphne Sheldrick Elephant orphanage

I am hoping to visit the orphanage to see my ele in January, is their a particular day that they have least crowds. Also could anyone tell me how they found their visit in the evening, i hope to go to the 11am and the evening visit, I am very excited about it! Has anyone stayed at the Ithumba camp as this also sounds like an amazing place. Thanks

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 150
1. Re: Daphne Sheldrick Elephant orphanage

Crowds can be a hit and miss. During the week, there can be large groups of school children (which can be fun itself, as many of these kids would never have seen an elephant in real life, and their expressions and reactions are priceless). On weekends, it can be busy with many families.

The visit in the evening is beautiful. There can be up to 10 people there, and the time you get to spend with the elephants is amazing.

Sutton
2. Re: Daphne Sheldrick Elephant orphanage

Thank you for the information, do you need to book in advance for your evening visit? Thanks

Telford, Shropshire
reviews: 66
3. Re: Daphne Sheldrick Elephant orphanage

Hi Citygirl - you need to bok in advane for your evening visit, just send them an email stating what day you want to go. They are usually very good at replying quickly.

With regard to crowds. The evening I visited there were up to 25 people there but I unashamedly pushed my way to the front of the stable my ele was in....!

Mention that you are a sponsor and which ele you sponsor when you get in touch.

Hope that helps, Min xx

Sutton
4. Re: Daphne Sheldrick Elephant orphanage

Thanks Min thats great I cannot wait to see my ele Kwale, I also have Kalama at Ithumba which I hope to visit one day in the future. xx

Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
5. Re: Daphne Sheldrick Elephant orphanage

Was there last night (Nairobi not Ithumba). Absolutely packed for an evening visit, given we're not in high season but David (not Daphne!) Sheldrick WT has so many eles there right now that there was no crowding and everyone was able to spend quality time with "their" elephant.

nyc
6. Re: Daphne Sheldrick Elephant orphanage

On our recent visit mid-week, earlier in Nov there were about 25/people.

And though you are probably not the only one visiting your adoptee, even if someone gets to yours first... just go visit others till yours frees up. There is more than sufficient time to actually visit all, some older (there were quite a few in residence). We even came upon a few really little ones off in side barns, not yet listed for fostering as sadly, they might not survive.

Just pre-register your expected visit and enjoy the time with them.

7. Re: Daphne Sheldrick Elephant orphanage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, December 16, 2013