We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Willl an Apple Iphone work in Kenya Pikot region

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Morecambe
reviews: 18
Willl an Apple Iphone work in Kenya Pikot region

Can anyone tell me what I do when I arrive in Nairobi to get this phone to work for internet and phone cheaply. How does one top up? and is it good to use or would you take a small comuter IPad and buy a modem as advised by someone else.

I am freaking out about being away from any communication for a month whilst working in Ortum .

Jean

Are there internet cafes in Ortum? All advice welcome and needed ASAP as going on Sunday

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 6
1. Re: Willl an Apple Iphone work in Kenya Pikot region

Jean, you'll be able to get a SIM card for your phone at the airport on arrival in Nairobi. Just take it into the Safaricom shop on the right, in the concourse, as you come out of the arrivals hall and they will fix you up - assuming your phone isn't locked to a UK network - check. Very helpful people at Safaricom. It'll cost you about £1 for the SIM and a little bit of airtime. Then you just buy whatever you need in cards of Ksh100, Ksh500, Ksh1000 etc. Just like here. The airtime goes a long way! You'll get 3G, again just like here, all over Nairobi, in the main towns, often along the highways, and even out in the sticks, so you can use your phone as normal, except of course you'll have to remember to tell friends and family your temporary number.

If you're locked to your UK network, and can't unlock before you go, then you can still use your iPhone in all the normal ways, but you'll be on Roaming charges from you're UK provider, and it will cost you a bomb, so be sure to turn off 3G when you don't need it. And keep a check on your Network Usage!

Everyone in Ortum and around Pokot country will know all the best spots for getting network. There's usually someone nearby in really rural areas who has a big battery and can charge phones for people - nice little earner if you can afford the battery in the first place!

Have a great trip. The Cheranganis are beautiful.

Richard

Edited: 2:54 pm, November 21, 2012
Morecambe
2. Re: Willl an Apple Iphone work in Kenya Pikot region

Many thanks for all of this. Ashamed to ask but can \I get it unlocked here in the UK . Im going to work for 3 weeks as part of the alternative initiations for FGM. so Im both nervous and excited.

I feel more relieved that I can use my phone. Do you carry a computer with you as Im wondering whether to treat myself to a small one thats light to carry.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 51
3. Re: Willl an Apple Iphone work in Kenya Pikot region

Hi,

You can get your iphone unlocked in the UK, google it and you'll get lots of links, some giving advice like this one

…neondragon.net/index.php/how-to-unlock-your…

some that will do it all for you at a price like this one

http://www.officialiphoneunlock.co.uk/

Even paying those prices it would be much cheaper than going down the computer route as a netbook will cost between £150 and £250, and a dongle 2,000/- (around £15) though Safaricom (recommended for consistency of network and internet service around the country) are currently doing an offer where you buy a 4GB data bundle for 2,999/- and get the dongle free.

If you unlock your phone you will find calls very cheap here, even calls back to the UK, on Safaricom it costs 18/- (around 13p) a minute to call the UK and of course receiving calls is free, a text to the UK is 10/- (7½ p).

You could buy a second local sim and get even cheaper calls to the UK, you can call a UK landline for 3/- (less than 2½p) a minute with Airtel (20/- to a mobile) and on Orange using their VOIP (888) service its 3/- to a UK landline and 18/- to a mobile)

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
4. Re: Willl an Apple Iphone work in Kenya Pikot region

I wouldn't bother trying to get a UK phone unlocked - just buy a cheap one in Kenya.

I'm not sure about networks at Ortum, but I'd go for Airtel or Orange to call UK - much cheaper than Safaricom! As Doff says, 3/- per min to UK landlines.

I have an unlocked Kenya phone and switch sim cards as necessary. You should be able to get a sim card for about 50/- (less than 50p). You can top up almost anywhere!! (Much easier, in my opinion, than in UK.)

Edited: 10:14 am, November 23, 2012
Morecambe
5. Re: Willl an Apple Iphone work in Kenya Pikot region

Many thanks to you all for the invaluable advice. I have now unlocked the phone and will do as you said. Im not sure though why getting two sim cards is worthwhile??

Morecambe
6. Re: Willl an Apple Iphone work in Kenya Pikot region

Many thanks. How far is Kikale from Ortum and is it worth stoppin there for a few days.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 51
7. Re: Willl an Apple Iphone work in Kenya Pikot region

The reason I suggested two sims, was if you were going to be using Safaricom with a netbook and dongle for internet. If not it depends how much you are going to be calling home. As above, I think Safaricom is the best bet for a decent internet service wherever you are but if you were going to be calling home a lot you could save money on those calls by getting an Airtel sim just to use for international calls. A sim card costs less than £1, a 5 minute call to a UK landline would cost 55p on Safaricom, 11p on Airtel, (to a mobile the Safaricom cost would be the same but on Airtel it would be 73p) so if you are not going to be making lots of calls or long calls to UK landlines its probably not worth the inconvenience of switching sim cards. (You also might have to get the shop to cut a sim down to size if they do not have the iphone mini sims in stock)

People tend to have sims from different networks here (you can get dual sim phones) not only because of differences in international call rates but also because away from the urban areas network signal strengths can vary, you may be able to get a signal on one network when you can't on another.

A general point, Airtel have recently been advertising their 3.75G internet service but I don't know anyone who uses Airtel internet so I've no idea how reliable it is or how widespread their 3G or 3.75 G service is. has anybody else had any experience of this service?

Edited: 11:50 pm, November 23, 2012
Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
8. Re: Willl an Apple Iphone work in Kenya Pikot region

Kitale is your nearest "big town". It has a good selection of Supermarkets etc. If you are in Pokot, you'll soon learn where people go!! It is quite possible that the Hospital has a vehicle which goes to Kitale fairly regulary.

9. Re: Willl an Apple Iphone work in Kenya Pikot region

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:35 am, January 13, 2013
Edited: 11:35 am, January 13, 2013
Strumica, Strumica...
10. Re: Willl an Apple Iphone work in Kenya Pikot region

Hey Doffcocker, you are very right, I also read the reviews about official iphone unlock posted on http://www.unlockboot.com/