We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Minimum international connection time in Nairobi

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong
Minimum international connection time in Nairobi

Hi,

My traven agent has proposed a route from Madagascar to Ethiopia with a connection in Nairobi. I have a couple of questions, mainly regarding the time needed between the 2 flights, and would greatly appreciate it if you could kindly help.

1) What is the official and unofficial minimum connection time for 2 international flights in Nairobi? My flight into Nairobi is with Kenyan Airways, but the onward flight is with Ethiopian Airlines, there is 1 hour 40 minutes between them (if there is no delay). Will this be enough?

2) What will be the procedure for the connection? As the flights are with different airlines, understand I'll have to claim my baggage and check it in again. Can this be done in the secure area, or do I need to get a transit visa, leave the secure area to do all this? If latter is the case, is 1 hour 40 minutes connection time enough?

Thanks a lot in advance!

uk
reviews: 1
1. Re: Minimum international connection time in Nairobi

you should be in transit so i see no need for you to collect your bags see if kq will check them in all the way for you in which case you wont need anything , off one onto another

Hong Kong
2. Re: Minimum international connection time in Nairobi

Thanks pjduk

Can Kenya Airways do that? The second leg of flight will be with Ethiopian Airlines?

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 150
3. Re: Minimum international connection time in Nairobi

They should be able to interline your bags all the way through. At JKIA, make sure you show your tags to the ET staff at the departure lounge and ask them to ensure your bags are loaded.

1hr 40min not an issue, as long as KQ is not more then 30 min delayed. ET is usually on time.

Hong Kong
4. Re: Minimum international connection time in Nairobi

Thank you so much Road Warrior!

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
5. Re: Minimum international connection time in Nairobi

i came ET this week - it was a bit late (not much) but was the new Dreamliner, Nairobi to Addis!!

Hong Kong
6. Re: Minimum international connection time in Nairobi

Thanks Asifiwe! I hope they will use Dreamliner on this route regularly!

7. Re: Minimum international connection time in Nairobi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 am, December 16, 2013