We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First-Time and Anxiety Stricken!

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bellflower...
reviews: 21
First-Time and Anxiety Stricken!

I am an african american female who has never traveled out of the U.S. My husband is from Nairobi but hasn't been home in some time. As our trip gets closer (39 days) I find myself more and more anxiety ridden. My questions have now irrated my husband so I am reaching out to others. I have been reading the forums constantly and researching everything that I can but I'm still nervous about what to encounter. I have already had my mind blown regarding the possible bathroom situation. Being a full-figured woman "squatting" seems like it will be a real challange. Basically can someone give some advice on how to address this fear and embrace the trip. Or if there are any african-american women who have been in this position words of encouragement. :) THANKS

Burbank, California
reviews: 39
11. Re: First-Time and Anxiety Stricken!

Hello phisigchick!

I am also Black and live in the County of Los Angeles...small world! I was in Kenya this summer and had a wonderful experience. Try not to be so nervous as you will love the region. Regarding the toilet situation, I worked in Japan many years ago and the non-western type was all that was available in my office building. So I learned really quick! Around Nairobi, you may encounter these toilets at service stations but don't let it worry you. You'll learn quick, too! The people are warm, the food is delicious, and you will see a beautiful place that you will not believe. Take in this wonderful place and have a fabulous trip!

uk
reviews: 1
12. Re: First-Time and Anxiety Stricken!

if you are driving from nairobi to mbsa take care , the road is full of frustrated idiots, if you see a truck or car comming towards you on your side of the road ,ease off the power a little flash u lights like hell , so they can see you and give them time to overtake what ever they are overtaking as they dont stop

13. Re: First-Time and Anxiety Stricken!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:05 am, November 16, 2012
Edited: 3:05 am, November 16, 2012
Bellflower...
14. Re: First-Time and Anxiety Stricken!

pjduk,

Seriously! Is that for day and night? I knew we should just take the bus!

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 13
15. Re: First-Time and Anxiety Stricken!

I would avoid the road and take the plane!

Bellflower...
16. Re: First-Time and Anxiety Stricken!

Tembofan,

Unfortunately that isn't in the budget :(

Toronto, Canada
17. Re: First-Time and Anxiety Stricken!

Hi there I had all the same worries before I traveled to Kenya! I went this past summer for month volunteering with IVHQ. I lived with alocal host family wholuckily had a toilet but i did encounter many " holes in the ground" too....all about the experience... and depending on the hole its actually quite comfortable squating over one..I actually think its easier than squating over a dirty toilet seat. I was soooo worried beore i went about safety I think i read too many travel warnings..... but honestly when i got there I realized i had over reacted....EverywhereI went i felt safe.... u need to just have street smarts and follow the rules....if your husband is from there I am sure you will be fine.....I know many who took a bus to Mombasa and it wasnt more than $40 return..... I have a blog if you wouldlike to read it as for things to do!! there are lots!!!! I did a day trip, hired a taxi to take us around ( u will rent a vehicle?) In that day we hit up the elephant orphanage which is onlyopen for an hour 11-noon and i think cost only 500 shillings.... then we went to the giraffe sanctuary which i think was 1000 shillings.... TheKaron Blixon house is there too if you are a fan of the movie out of africa.... then ended it with drinks and dinner at the Carnivore which i think is a must,,, it is morepricey and sure its a touristy place but oh boy \YUMMY I think i spent 3000 shillings for dinner but it is all u can eat meat... the ostrich balls are delicious!!... Also near the Westgate Mall ( which is actually nicer than my hometown mall) they have a massai market on tues and thurs and sat... and a 5 minute drive from there there is the monkey park ( which is FREE) and u justpay like 50 shillings for nuts and get to feed the monkeys.... are u sure safari isnt in the budget? how can u goto kenya and not go on a safari?//// well another option might be going to Hells Gate National Park... no lions but there is wild life and the scenorie is beautiful... If going to Nairobi NationalPark stay clear of the animal orphanage ( trap) it was more like azoo with small cages.... and the safari "walk" was azoo.... do the actual safari there if you can..... I would also suggest bringing babywipes! you wil get really dusty there and always nice to wipe down your face and body... i cant think of anything else at the moment....

Dallas
reviews: 15
18. Re: First-Time and Anxiety Stricken!

I can totally relate!

The most useful thing I took was a Freshette (look it up; available at REI, etc. Another brand is "GoGirl"). Carried this everywhere and came up with this "kit" solution: Gallon ziplock baggy with two quart baggies inside. Freshette in one of the smaller baggies, TP & wet wipes packet in the other. Doesn't take a lot of space and lets you be hygenic even if there is no running water (just wash the thing later). Used it a LOT..there are plenty of western-style toilets that you might not want to sit on either.

Edited: 7:48 pm, November 16, 2012
uk
reviews: 1
19. Re: First-Time and Anxiety Stricken!

drive daytime much safer , havnt and wouldn do it at night, but yes be more vigilant than normal , its ok as long as you keep your wits about you

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 91
20. Re: First-Time and Anxiety Stricken!

Please don't worry,you'll love Kenya. I'm currently living in Nairobi and you'll find the people to be very accomodating. Your anxieties are misplaced. I hope that you have a wonderful trip.