We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do I need for a transit visa

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
seattle
reviews: 6
What do I need for a transit visa

We are US citizens who will only spend one night in Nairobi on our way to Tanzania. It seems like a hassle to get our visas prior to traveling and sending away our passports to the embassy.

I've read that we can get a transit visa at the airport upon arrival.

Do we need to have a completed visa app with us. Do we need to provide new passport photos?

Or, is it as simple as just having the cash to pay for it?

Thanks for your counsel.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia
1. Re: What do I need for a transit visa

>Or, is it as simple as just having the cash to pay for it?

Pretty much. I did this 2 years ago. You definitely don't need photos. You might save a bit of time if you can get a form in advance and fill it out but the queue wasn't bad.

For a transit visa they might ask a question or two about your onward plans, but I don't think they even asked to see my onward ticket (I was arriving from Zambia, flying to London the next day).

Maryland, USA
reviews: 9
2. Re: What do I need for a transit visa

Yes, all you need is the money, a passport, and the completed visa application that you can download off the Internet and complete prior to arrival. They may ask when your next flight is so they can put a restriction to the transit visa, but that's not a given.

You should know that when arriving in Tanzania you may well be asked for your Yellow Fever certificate having overnighted in Kenya.

Edited: 6:10 pm, November 05, 2012
Los Angeles...
reviews: 78
3. Re: What do I need for a transit visa

I highly recommend printing the visa application and having it filled out before you arrive in Nairobi. It will save time.

seattle
4. Re: What do I need for a transit visa

Thank you one and all for your sage advice

seattle
5. Re: What do I need for a transit visa

I looked at the visa form online. It requires that I fill it out online and get a confirmation number but I think that just if you are sending your passport to the consulate.

I'm confused. Should I fill it out, get a confirm number and print it to take physically to the airport even if I'm not actually sending it I by mail?

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia
6. Re: What do I need for a transit visa

If you want to fill it out in advance you need to find a pdf version, print it out and fill it in by hand.

Honestly, if it's this confusing just do it on arrival. They may even hand out forms on the plane. Or if you can write standing up you can grab a form, go straight to the queue and fill it out while you wait.

Maryland, USA
reviews: 9
7. Re: What do I need for a transit visa

Here's a link to a printable form (no photos needed):

enhols.com/kenya-safari/visa/kenya_visa_appl…

seattle
8. Re: What do I need for a transit visa

Thank you again for all your help

Nairobi, Kenya
9. Re: What do I need for a transit visa

get in touch for assistance.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 13
10. Re: What do I need for a transit visa

I'm sure the muni is able to fill out the form without needing assistance or do you propose standing in the queue to get it for them?