We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfer time- Nairobi airport

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 1
Transfer time- Nairobi airport

Hi all

How long should we allow between transferring from domestic flight (MOMBASA-NBO) to our international flight (NBO-LHR)?

Am deciding which flight to book from Mombasa- our options are:

KA

19:10- arriving 20:10

or

20:40- arriving 21:40

or Fly 540 arriving 21:30

We will then be catching the 23:40 overnight BA flight to London.

Should we book the earlier flight or would the 20:40 flight give us enough time to transfer? Ideally we would like to spend as little time in the airport as poss! We will need to check in luggage for the Mombasa-Nairobi flight and are British passport holders (not sure if this makes a diff).

Thanks for all the help!

N

Nairobi
reviews: 32
1. Re: Transfer time- Nairobi airport

Any of those arrival times will be adequate. HOWEVER, flights from msa to nbo on any airline are very often delayed by an hour or even more. Having flown that route dozens of times, I reckon that leaving on time is unusual, delays of an hour or more are common and cancellations are not unknown. Get the earliest!

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
reviews: 15
2. Re: Transfer time- Nairobi airport

Your luggage gets checked in at Mombasa right through to London so no need to worry about that. It's just a 2 minute walk from domestic to international so unless you want to spend a few hours looking around duty free catch the latest flight.

Northampton, United...
3. Re: Transfer time- Nairobi airport

Hi I do this few times a year and I catch a late a flight as possible as not much to do in airport

London
4. Re: Transfer time- Nairobi airport

Hi- thanks- does luggage get checked through even if changing airline from Kenya Airways to British Airways? Thanks!

Nairobi
5. Re: Transfer time- Nairobi airport

>>Your luggage gets checked in at Mombasa right through to London <<

Not with fly540 it doesn't!

Nairobi
6. Re: Transfer time- Nairobi airport

>>Hi- thanks- does luggage get checked through even if changing airline from Kenya Airways to British Airways? Thanks!<<

Depends on the ticketing. With Kenya Airways it could if it is part of the same ticket. Otherwise no.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 150
7. Re: Transfer time- Nairobi airport

Neema, as you are connecting from KQ to BA, your luggage does NOT get checked through from mombasa to Lhr. I would avoid fly 540 all together, and instead stick to KQ. The 1910 flight allows plenty of time for a delay, (KQ these days has improved. In the last 6 weeks, I have flown from mombasa to Nairobi 9 times and had no more then 5 min delays. They are really trying hard.).

On arrival into Nairobi, allow 30 minutes to get your bags and clear security to get to the BA desks.

Nairobi airport is a hole. You will just have to bear it unfortunately.

London
8. Re: Transfer time- Nairobi airport

Thanks so much!! I take it the later flight is too late if it arrives 21:40? ie 2 hours before the BA flight? would appreciate your thoughts on this! N

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 150
9. Re: Transfer time- Nairobi airport

It arrives too late. If it is delayed, you may miss BA check in, and your flight.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 51
10. Re: Transfer time- Nairobi airport

Personally I would use KQ and I would book the 19.10, leaving the 20.40 as contingency in case of any problems with the earlier flight, and allow an hour more than you think you need to get to Mombasa Airport, the traffic on the causeway from Mombasa island often grinds to a complete halt.

The vast majority of my KQ Mombasa - Nairobi flights have left on time or close to it, but a couple have had significant delays and on one occasion there was a fault with the plane and a part had to be flown out from Nairobi on the next flight, that plane formed the next Nairobi flight and was allowed to leave on time and we were held until after it had departed. This wasn't a big issue for me, as my connecting flight was also with KQ / KLM so it was their responsibility to look after me al the way, and being retired I have time to spare, but that will not be the case for you.

Once you collect your bags it is a very short walk to the International terminal and you walk past a pleasant bar with an open air terrace. If I have time to spare I usually spend some of it at 'The Pub' as it is called before going into the terminal.

You and your bags have to be scanned on your way into the terminal, and there can be a queue for this, sometimes short but can be longer especially if a coach load of tourists have just been dropped off, (there is another entrance just past the first that they open if the queues are bad, so if there seems to be a bad queue it can pay to have someone check the other entrance). You will then need to go and check in, being in transit I've only ever had to check in once at Nairobi and it was mayhem in the check in area then, but that was KQ, don't know what BA check in was like. Then you have to complete departure cards before you enter Immigration / Passport Control, where there are usually queues, again sometime small, sometimes long but you will be doing pretty well if you are through in less than 15 minutes and it could take 30 to 45 minutes or more