We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

11:00 am to dark at Giraffe Manor. What happens?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
USA
reviews: 2
11:00 am to dark at Giraffe Manor. What happens?

Check in is 11:00 am. What are the giraffes doing while the guests are checking in and shortly after? Are they visible? Do they retreat to their "quarters"? Do they help transport luggage?

Seriously, is there any feeding of giraffes at lunch time? Are they roaming the premises? I've read about warthogs too. How do they spend their day? Or any other critters?

If a guest has a couple of free hours midday after checking into GM, what goings-on might that guest expect?

I thought I read that at 5 pm the giraffes are again looking for a handout. Are guests involved in this?

I did read the GM reviews here, though not every word of every post. I tried to do a clever Advanced Google search for the TA site with terms that would answer my question. Came up empty handed.

Thanks for the assistance.

Boston...
reviews: 8
1. Re: 11:00 am to dark at Giraffe Manor. What happens?

Lynn,

We visited the giraffe center in June at about 12:00 (noon) and could easily see Giraffe Manor from the feeding platform (it's a couple of hundred yards away accross a large lawn area). All the giraffes were at or near the feeding platform (as that is where the food is) and none were near Giraffe manor.

my understanding is that the giraffes are for breakfast and head over to the Giraffe Center once the tourists show up.

USA
2. Re: 11:00 am to dark at Giraffe Manor. What happens?

Makes sense PJT. Go where the food is.

Bize-Minervois...
reviews: 41
3. Re: 11:00 am to dark at Giraffe Manor. What happens?

Hi Lynn, fancy meeting you here (samburumags)

Nairobi, Kenya
4. Re: 11:00 am to dark at Giraffe Manor. What happens?

Hi Lynn, thanks for your message. The Rothschild Giraffe are wild animals so are in control of where they want to be an when. We cannot determine where the giraffe will be at what time as they live in 120acre grounds that are shared between the Giraffe Centre and Giraffe Manor. The most popular time for the giraffe to come to the Manor is at breakfast time and they tend to wander over to the Giraffe Centre in the afternoon but this is not a rule, they are free to do as they please. The warthogs are resident warthogs so tend to stay near the Manor during most of the day.

USA
5. Re: 11:00 am to dark at Giraffe Manor. What happens?

Hi Samburumags! Are you still a "new" granny? Not inferring you'd be an "old granny." Just wondering how long you have held the esteemed title of Granny?

Olivia, I am honored your #1 post is to answer my question.

Some followups:

I had heard that the new "giraffe policy" is that the giraffes are "herded?" or encouraged to ALL go to the Giraffe Centre at about 9:30 and staying around the manor is no longer an option for the giraffes. Is that correct?

Also, do the giraffes tend to head back to the Manor area in the early eve? Do guests have the opportunity to feed the giraffes in the early eve or just in the morning?

Finally do Giraffe MANOR guests get to go the the Giraffe CENTRE during their stay or is that an extra charge similar to what the other CENTRE visitors pay?

Merci.

SF
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu-Okinawa
reviews: 3
6. Re: 11:00 am to dark at Giraffe Manor. What happens?

We stayed in the Giraffe Center for several hours in a afternoon. You can feed them on the balcony at their neck high. They come for the food and salt block licking. They will lick your feeding hands and maybe face. Their tongue is long & very slimy but their saliva is antiseptic. They have a hand wash basin nearby. If they look like necking, they are fighting.

Nairobi, Kenya
7. Re: 11:00 am to dark at Giraffe Manor. What happens?

Hi Lynn - as mentioned the giraffe are free to roam as they please. There is no 'herding' taking place and we cannot control where they are going to be and when. The most likely time for the giraffe to come to the Manor is at breakfast time and is often the highlight for our guests. Guests who stay at Giraffe Manor have free entry to the Giraffe Centre - we do hope to welcome you at Giraffe Manor sometime soon.

USA
8. Re: 11:00 am to dark at Giraffe Manor. What happens?

Thanks for all the info. It's helpful to me and to any future Googler for this kind of stuff.

The shuttling to other nearby places offered by GM is a great option. Are there set times to go to, say, Karen Blixen Museum or to Sheldrick for the adoptors viewing. How is that service arranged?

Thanks again.

Nairobi, Kenya
9. Re: 11:00 am to dark at Giraffe Manor. What happens?

The complimentary car service is for airport transfers and trips to tourist attractions in the local area. There are no set times for visits to Karen Blixen Museum, we take clients when they would like to go within opening hours. The Daphne Sheldrick has set times of 11am and private adoption at 5pm. Please have a look at our website www.thesafaricollection.com for more information on Giraffe Manor.

Edited: 3:39 am, October 31, 2012
USA
10. Re: 11:00 am to dark at Giraffe Manor. What happens?

Thank you again!