We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell phones at the airport

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando, Florida...
Cell phones at the airport

My boss is traveling to Nairobi to carry out the last needs of his dad. He is worried about being able to use his phone, (which we found out is not usable there), so should I rent one for 3 days, or just have him purchase a cheap one at the airport? I read older post here on the forum, but they were from a few years ago. Is there any 2012 information that will be helpful. I appreciate your response.

shamba25
reviews: 6
1. Re: Cell phones at the airport

Hi yes buy cheap one in kenya, then you can also get the local sim for cheaper calls or one at home as long as its tri or quad band.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 50
2. Re: Cell phones at the airport

If you buy the phone at one of the networks' shops they will fit the sim and load some airtime as well. On most networks the calls to North America are extremely cheap, just a few cents

Shamba,

Any phone sold in Kenya will work in Kenya, It doesn't need to be tri or quad band, any run of the mill dual band phone will work in Kenya, tri and quad are only necessary for people from the rest of the world who want to use their phone in North America where they have a couple of bands that the rest of the world doesn't use.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
3. Re: Cell phones at the airport

I agree - get a cheap phone here. To USA, a call to land lines and mobiles is just 3/- per minute from Airtel using + or 000 and 2/50 using 888 from Orange. I am not sure about the Safaricom costs because I just use the other two.

sim cards are very cheap. maybe 50/- unless you buy a package with a card (only it may then be locked to that network).

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 50
4. Re: Cell phones at the airport

Ann,

Safaricom is 5/- a minute to USA using regular International Direct Dial (no need for the VOIP prefixes of 888, etc)

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
5. Re: Cell phones at the airport

Thanks, Doff!! I'll continue with Airtel or Orange!!

Sometimes Airtel is cheaper than 3/- - I asked Customer Care and was told it is random, but the maximum is 3/-.

Cheryl can decide.

6. Re: Cell phones at the airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 31, 2013