We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency Exchange for KES

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 21
Currency Exchange for KES

Many useful posts but all from 2009. Can anyone, please, give advice based on recent experience of how/when/where to change foreign currency into Kenyan Shilings upon arrival in Nairobi for a week's safari trip?

Second week is in Tanzania ... any thoughts on that one?

Is Canadian or USD better, or does it make a difference?

Thank you

Staffordshire
reviews: 1
1. Re: Currency Exchange for KES

There are ATMs just as you go out of the airport. On the left is Barclays and if I remember correctly to the right there are others too. If you are stopping in Nairobi overnight you could go to NAkumatt (supermarket) good forex there. Kenyan shillings are preferred @ lodges for tipping the staff. DONT change money in hotel or lodge as you will get a poor rate of exchange.Sorry cant help regarding Tanzania.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
reviews: 1
2. Re: Currency Exchange for KES

I googled it, 1 USD = 85 KS today.

Ilford, United...
reviews: 18
3. Re: Currency Exchange for KES

We were getting 130 Ksh to the £ at our beach hotel when changing travellers cheques although they would take credit cards, before we went we changed up some notes and the bank gave us 128 Ksh

As for TZ you will have to wait until you get there anyway as the Tsh is not traded outside the country...last year I think we got approx 300 Tsh to the £, again changing T/chqs at lodges

Hope that helps - just remember to get rid of any excess Tsh before you leave the country otherwise you'll be stuck with them!

Nairobi
reviews: 3
4. Re: Currency Exchange for KES

You can use www.xe.com to know the exchange rate. its better to change currencies at the airport. they have several Forex bureau and am sure you will have a better rate. also there are banks and ATM machine if you have a visa card.

USD dollars of the equivalent of the local currency will be a better choice

London, United...
5. Re: Currency Exchange for KES

Today's Exchange Rates >> Source= Central Bank of Kenya.

…jetscreenshot.com/11869/20121011-0ld5-58kb.…

Edited: 3:39 pm, October 11, 2012
Ilford, United...
reviews: 18
6. Re: Currency Exchange for KES

And remember if looking at www.xe.com etc that these will be the market rates not the retail rates...I was looking before I went and the rate was showing 135 to the £ but when I went to enquire at the local forex here the rate was only 127, not a vast difference in the grand scheme of things.

nyc
7. Re: Currency Exchange for KES

I use the below site for currency exchange:

www.oanda.com/currency/converter/

You can enter USD or CAD vs KES or TSH.

They will also allow you print out a 'cheat sheet' to keep in wallet so you have an idea of what you're spending

In Kenya it seems easier and safer to use ATMs, while in Tanzania seems most prefer to stop in a Forex office. In Kenya they are leery of USD$100 notes (assume they might be counterfeit), where in Tanzania the larger notes get a better exchange rate. Don't ask me why.

Just remember that your notes, especially USD should be relatively new (not torn, taped, crinkled, washed in your jeans) and dated no older than 6/yrs. or from 2006 forward. For USD notes, those with the newer faces/colors (except the USD$1 which hasn't been changed... in years, same ole, same ole, but the 2006 date still important).

Good luck!

Edited: 5:20 pm, October 11, 2012
8. Re: Currency Exchange for KES

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 am, December 15, 2013