We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money exchange at NBO airport

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Money exchange at NBO airport

I am arriving NBO at 1:20 AM weekday next week. I'm flying on Lufthansa.

I need to find a place to get some local currency preferably using an ATM at the airport at this late/early arrival.

I'll have some $20 bills but would like to save for later.

Any suggestion. Also what's the best formula to estimate conversion US to Kenyan Sh

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 52
1. Re: Money exchange at NBO airport

Hi,

There are ATMs as you leave customs, the one I always use is the Barclays one on your immediate left as you come out of customs

There are forexs in the common arrival / departure area and also as you leave the Customs area

the Dollar has been pretty consistently around 85 KES for some time

Seattle, Washington
2. Re: Money exchange at NBO airport

Oh great and hopefully they will be open at that hour.

By the way, can you tell me an easy formula to convert or get a rough estimate to convert from US to Ken Sh

I got the formula from Karl to convert TZ Sh

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 52
3. Re: Money exchange at NBO airport

Sorry, I've never had really had the need for an easy dollars to shillings formula, on the rare occasions I need to convert them (like paying my South African satellite subscription) I just multiply the dollar amount by 85 using the calculator on my phone or laptop.

If I wanted to do it mentally I'd multiply the amount by a hundred then deduct 15% its pretty easy

say $73

73 x 100 ie add two zeroes = 7300 then take one of the zeroes off - 730 (10%) half it - 365 (5%) add together = approx 1,100 and then subtract from 7,300 = approx 6,200

But won't you be more interested in doing it the other way because you will see prices quoted in shillings so want to know the dollar price

Edited: 4:26 am, September 29, 2012
Seattle, Washington
4. Re: Money exchange at NBO airport

Oh so that's the trick

Of course I meant from Kenyan to U S $

Can you show how it would look doing the reverse

nyc
5. Re: Money exchange at NBO airport

I advised the other day on the Tanzania Forum to check a Currency Exchange site (provided URLs for these) where you can determine USD/KSH or KSH/USD as well USD/TSH or TSH/USD... Sites can also provide a wallet size 'cheat sheet' of these figures that you keep with you so know what costs what each country.

Why bother calculating in your head, when you can have it done for you.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 6
6. Re: Money exchange at NBO airport

I'm with Sandi on this: I always use coinmill

coinmill.com/KES_calculator.html#USD=82

which converts any value of any currency to any other. But for in-the-street calculations, if you think of 100 shillings as your basic unit, then divide by 100 and multiply by 1.2 (ie 100 shillings is about $1.20) you won't go far wrong. It's actually a bit less than that, so you'll stay on the safe side.

If you thought of one shilling as being equal to one US cent, then you'd be very much on the safe side.

Richard

nyc
7. Re: Money exchange at NBO airport

swansee -

I sent you a PM with another link to an Currency Exchange to figure out rates for both Kenya and Tanzania and ability to print a cheat sheet. I just did these myself for both countries.

Seattle, Washington
8. Re: Money exchange at NBO airport

Sandi,

Yes thanks I got it, and I sent you a reply.

Richard

Thanks that's what I was looking for because let's face it I won't be able to get online 24/7

I already got a formula to use in TZN a lot different

London, United...
9. Re: Money exchange at NBO airport

Seems that the strengthening £ against the Kenyan shilling is the only positive aspect of the Kenyan tourism industry for the wazungu :-(

10. Re: Money exchange at NBO airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, December 14, 2013