We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nairobi National Park

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool, United...
reviews: 47
Nairobi National Park

Hi, we are planned to stay in the Nairobi Serena Hotel and will be visiting the Nairobi National Park. Any idea how far away it is? How long it will take to get there by car? Thank you

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
1. Re: Nairobi National Park

There's a useful PDF download map of the NP from this site:

nairobitentedcamp.com/nairobi-national-park/

From the main entrance off Langata Rd, you can also visit the Orphanage & Safari Walk.

From the Serena to the NP, there are 2 routes - from the main highway & from behind the hotel ie Mbagathi Rd. Using Mbagathi is shorter, 20-30 mins during off peak.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 6
2. Re: Nairobi National Park

It's not a good idea to be in the city centre if you want to visit the park. For much of the day, it's going to take 1-2 hrs to get there and the same back again. I'd suggest you stay at Nairobi Tented Camp, in the park itself – it's a wonderful place.

Unfortunately that map is next to useless Stef… Much better just to use Google maps if you don't have a guidebook.

Or even if you do…

Richard

Edited: 3:40 pm, September 26, 2012
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 3
3. Re: Nairobi National Park

Consider also Emakoko

http://www.emakoko.com/

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 150
4. Re: Nairobi National Park

It would be best to be at the park entrance by 6.30 am at the latest. If you were to leave Serena at 6.00 am, you would be there in time. As Richard says, during peak times it can take around an hour to get there.

For an afternoon drive, try and enter by 3.30 pm at the latest. For this, leave the hotel by 2.30 pm.

Nairobi, Kenya
5. Re: Nairobi National Park

hi from serena hotel its just 25minites drive.

josphat.

Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 2
6. Re: Nairobi National Park

A distance of 8km from Nairobi to the park .a 30 min drive

Nairobi
7. Re: Nairobi National Park

Nairobi National Park is not very far from CBD.The best you can do,just take a Taxi or the famous Matatu that goes Rongai on Langa'ta Road.20-30Minutes depending with the time.Avoid Traffice during morning hrs and evening.They allow Taxi to do game drives in the park.I would advice you hire a Taxi.Doing drives in the park can take you 3-4hrs.Enyoy your excurtion

nyc
8. Re: Nairobi National Park

If budget allows, a vote for Emakoko.

While I haven't been, some who have rave and indicate 'better than Giraffe Manor.'

If not Emakoko, select a place in the Karen suburb... lots of small intimate hotels or B&Bs.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
reviews: 6
9. Re: Nairobi National Park

I second that, Sandi. I stayed for a night at The Emakoko in April and it's really special - owner-managed, too, by the couple who used to manage Ol Donyo Lodge and who built it from scratch last year. Great food, beautiful pool, accessible rooms at the bottom or fantastic views from the cliffside rooms. You get to it across the footbridge they built across the river that forms the southern park boundary.

And the best thing? It's 40 minutes from JKIA (depending on how long you want to game-view en route!) at any time of the day or night, via East Gate.

Nairobi Tented Camp or The Emakoko - what a decision if you have the money!

Richard

NAIROBI
10. Re: Nairobi National Park

its like a distance of 7.5km roughly 25min drive .

Do you need a vehicle a driver with a very good rate.

Regards