We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mombasa to Nairobi

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
United Kingdom
reviews: 13
Mombasa to Nairobi

Hi We are Going to Kenya Next Year . to do the Best of Kenya Safari. Can anyone who has been on this Safari tell me how long you were at Mombasa Airport before your connecting flight to Nairobi was boarded. I have been to Kenya last year on a Safari on the Maasi Mara and we are now taking our daughter and grand daughter.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 150
1. Re: Mombasa to Nairobi

What time do you arrive at mombasa airport and what flight are you taking to Nairobi?

Ilford, United...
reviews: 21
2. Re: Mombasa to Nairobi

Are you doing this with Thomson/FirstChoice? I have done this before but can't remember...however give me two weeks and I'll tell you when we get back as we are off tomorrow to do the same one :)). What I do remember is you have to leave the airport building, see the rep who will then take the "beach" case to be stored for your return and tell you where to go/ what to do for the internal flight (was with Air Kenya last time and a little snack meal was included!)

I know the baggage weight limit for the internal flight is less than the international flight so packing is a challenge but not impossible!

I'll check back when we get home to see how your replies have gone :)

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 51
3. Re: Mombasa to Nairobi

There are a dozen flights a day between Mombasa and Nairobi as they are scheduled domestic flights you only need to be at the airport about an hour before (many people arrive later than that). There is generally not much of a queue at check-in, unless a package holiday company or an NGO / Charity has a party booked on your flight, then it depends how many people are in their party how big the queue is. Also if one of the big holiday charter flights is due to depart there can be a big queue at security to get into the airport, but most of the time there are just a few people going through. On the way to the airport you cross onto Mombasa island then across a causeway. this causeway is the only road from Mombasa going inland towards Nairobi, so it is a traffic bottleneck and it is also a steady incline so there are always slow moving trucks on it, which frequently breakdown so hold ups are common, I always allow an extra hour when going to the airport in case of hold ups on the causeway.

I presume you are referring to a Thomson safari package, so no doubt you will be taken to the airport well in advance, because package companies always seem to do this. Hopefully someone who has been on the same package will be able to tell you their experience. Are you flying from Mombasa to Nairobi to go on safari, or to catch a connection home?

If you do get to the airport very early there is a terrace cafe on your right before you enter the terminal, I usually stop and have a drink or two there before going through into the terminal. The Domestic departure area is reasonably pleasant, there is a cafe, tables and chairs and the standard airport seat a shop and a few tvs mounted on the walls

United Kingdom
4. Re: Mombasa to Nairobi

Thanks a lot. Have a great time.

United Kingdom
5. Re: Mombasa to Nairobi

Hi We had our holiday in Kenya Last Year and went with Thomas Cook. We did the Voyager Resort first for three days then a Mara Safari. This time we are going with thomson doing the best of Kenya for seven days then the resort last. I was trying to find out what time we would arrive in Nairobi so that we can arrange to go to the Giraffe Centre. I know we arrive at Mombas airport at 0600 hrs just wondered what time we would depart for Nairobi.

Thank you for your help.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 51
6. Re: Mombasa to Nairobi

So you are flying from the UK to Mombasa with Thomson, then transferring straight to a flight to Nairobi? (That scenario hadn't occurred to me, I presumed you were going from a Mombasa hotel to the airport to fly to Nairobi. It's also common for people to fly direct into Nairobi and go straight on to safari, then fly or drive to the coast, I've never heard of anyone doing it the other way before)

In that case you will have to clear Immigration and get your bags, clear customs and leave the international arrivals hall and re-enter the terminal to check in for the domestic flight. The first flight available to you would be the 7.40 to Nairobi, the next at 10.10 and the flight is an hour, Whilst you could be able to make the 7.40 especially if you are assisted by Thomson staff should any queues arise Immigration can be a nightmare at Mombasa and it has taken some people well over an hour to get through, Do you not know which flight Thomson have booked you on, do you not have an itinerary, e-ticket or anything?

United Kingdom
7. Re: Mombasa to Nairobi

Hi Yes we are flying to Mombasa, then getting a connecting flight to Nairobi.

Thomson seem to do it that way. Thomas cook only do a split holiday going to resort for three days then safari but to fly to the Mara was not a pleasant experience. My better half and a few other travellers were air sick all the way there and all the way back due to aircraft being very small. In one passengers words inadequate. I thought doing it the Thomson way would be a better experience for two members of our party as our grand-daughter does not fly very well either. We are applying for enterance visa in the UK as it took absolutely ages last year, so I've learnt something by my first trip.

Thank you for your help. We have not been given any flight info at this time.

We have asked at Thomson but it seems that the Kenyan flights are booked by the Rep in Mombasa. So I am going to e-mail the rep and ask him. if he has any info.

Ilford, United...
8. Re: Mombasa to Nairobi

Hi Carole as promised thought I'd just let you know we landed at 7am and were thru immigration etc by 8/8:15, we were originally booked on to Kenya Airways flight at 11:10 but managed to get that changed to the earlier flight at 10:10

I can't remember what time we got to the Nairobi hotel but traffic was heavy thru the city, it was a 40min flight so landed around 10:50 unfortunately the message didn't get thru to Pollmans in Nairobi that we were early (!) but I guess we were at the Stanley hotel by 1pm and the rest of the day is your own and looking at your arrival time of 6am it looks like the LGW-MBA flight is earlier than mine was so you may have even longer in Nairobi

United Kingdom
9. Re: Mombasa to Nairobi

Thank you for the information hopefully we will not have to hang around too long in Mombasa. Hope you had a wonderful time, look forward to reading your review on your adventures.

thanks once again.

Ilford, United...
10. Re: Mombasa to Nairobi

Yes, we had a wonderful holiday again :)