We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bring clothes for children in orphanage

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
reviews: 58
Bring clothes for children in orphanage

I want to bring some clothes to give to children in an orphanage in Nairobi. How would I go about contacting a facility that would accept clothing for children?

What other items should I bring to give to the children?

Cheltenham, United...
reviews: 26
1. Re: Bring clothes for children in orphanage

my friend runs this home

http://www.hopehousebabieshome.co.uk/

you could send them an email to see if things are needed.

In Africa you can buy second hands clothes from the markets very cheaply which can work out cheaper then having to pay for extra baggage on the flight.

I think in orphanages food and medical supplies are what are needed more than anything else. Which can by brought from the country you are visiting.

Do not bring sweets as this just rots their teeth.

Old fashioned cotton nappies are good as reusable not disposable ones these can be expensive in Kenya.

manchester, United...
reviews: 44
2. Re: Bring clothes for children in orphanage

Far better to bring cash for food and other essentials. There are many threads on this - both on here and Lonely Planet - identifying why its really better not to bring clothes or other items.

Nairobi
3. Re: Bring clothes for children in orphanage

Clothes are always much appreciated, and if you already have them and are not going out to buy them then its worth bringing them as its all free(ish).

You can buy used clothes on the ground fairly cheap, rather than buying at the market, get more bang for your money by buying by the bale, 45 kilos for around $150 ( see miafaka for charitable donations).

Most childrens' homes struggle to provide especially footwear: shoes, sandals etc, bedding (mosquito nets are always useful), writing, reading books, pens, pencils etc. Ofcourse some of these would add serious weight to your baggage!

Plan to make your donation at the beginning of your visit and find time before you leave to visit (if possible) and see what use your donation has been put to.

Bear in mind there's greater need out in the countryside than closer to the big cities.

Toronto, Canada
4. Re: Bring clothes for children in orphanage

HI there I just spent a month working at Gathiga Childrens Hope Home in Kenya. They are just outside of Nairobi ( not far) Lucy the coordinator runs two orphanages one thats houses 60 kids and one that houses 97. Clothes are always needed :) When are you going?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 25
5. Re: Bring clothes for children in orphanage

I brought soccer gear (jerseys & balls) with me during my trip to Nairobi last summer. I made arrangements here in the USA to make my donation in Nairobi at the Nyumbani Children's Home. Their USA office is: http://www.nyumbani.org/about-us .

They are a 501(c)3 here in the US so in working with them, you should also be able to obtain an IRS tax deduction if that is important to you.

Los Angeles...
reviews: 58
6. Re: Bring clothes for children in orphanage

I can check 2 bags free of charge. I plan to bring the clothes in one of the checked bags, and use it to bring back sovenirs, etc.

I also plan on making the donation during the early part of my visit, so as not to have to manage extra luggage.

I will not be buying these clothes, but solicit from those with small children that have outgrown their clothes and shoes.

Kailac - I will be going early next month around the 10th of October.

7. Re: Bring clothes for children in orphanage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 05, 2013