We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping in Nairobi

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
reviews: 92
Shopping in Nairobi

I would like to do some shopping in Nairobi before going back to the states. I've read where there is a Masai Market, as well as an African City Market for shopping for handicrafts and other African goods.

What is the best place to shop for handicrafts and Kenyan products and goods?

We are staying at Wildebeest Camp for 2 days before going on safari. We would also like to purchase some personal food items before our safari, ie water, etc I am not quite vegan, but do no eat red meat.

nyc
1. Re: Shopping in Nairobi

The Masai Market is open different places around NBO depending on day of week.

Regarding your dietary needs, if you do not eat red meat... advise your tour operator and if needed also let them know what you'd prefer to eat (or just don't eat)... also if any allergies There's more than enough to eat to keep any vegetarian happy.

Los Angeles...
2. Re: Shopping in Nairobi

4sandi - Thanks for your input.

How do I find out where the Masai Market is going to be?

SF
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu-Okinawa
reviews: 12
3. Re: Shopping in Nairobi

Yaya open air market is open on Sunday afternoon for souvenirs. I hope you have a bargaining skill. Inside the building has many food and other shops including a supermarket.

For high quality all bronze, i.e. wild animals, baby lion paw print belt buckles Baoba table, MatBronze has many selections from large to small that are made there. You can see how they are made. They will crate for you if too big.

Nice garden to relax with a cafe & fire place.

Just ~1km past is Habasha Ethiopian tent restaurant which offers delicious & cheap meals with fast service.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
reviews: 11
4. Re: Shopping in Nairobi

I've seen some curio shops in Langata where the camp is located.

There' s Arfican Heritage retail shop @ the Carnivore restaurant

http://www.africanheritage.net/

You might also want to visit Galleria Shopping Mall in Langata & Crossroad Shopping Centre in Karen.

http://www.galleria.co.ke/

Langata/Karen has got all the amenities, don't bother going anywhere else..

Nairobi
5. Re: Shopping in Nairobi

Masai Market is usually at the Nairobi high court parking lot every Saturday and Sundays. If you are good at bargaining you will get a good deal here.

All the best

Allan

Los Angeles...
6. Re: Shopping in Nairobi

Thanks everybody.

Manitoba
reviews: 12
7. Re: Shopping in Nairobi

Masai Market Locations:

Sunday - Nairobi High Court Parking Lot (Corner of City Hall Way & Taifa Road) and also at Yaya Shopping Centre (Corner of Argwings Kodhek Road and & Ring Road Kilimani)

Monday - No Location

Tuesday - Westgate Shopping Centre (Mwanzi Road)

Wednesday - Capital Centre (Mombasa Road)

Thursday - Junction Shopping Centre (Dagoretti Corner/Ngong Rd)

Friday - Village Market (Limuru Road)

- Prestige Shopping Centre (Ngong Road & Kilimani Ring Road)

Saturday - Nairobi High Court Parking Lot (Corner of City Hall Way & Taifa Road)

Los Angeles...
8. Re: Shopping in Nairobi

Thanks Daniellem2. This is great information. Now I know that I can catch it one of the days that I am in Nairobi.

Does anyone know the time for the market?

9. Re: Shopping in Nairobi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, September 22, 2013