We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenyan Airlines - as bad as the reviews suggest?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 23
Kenyan Airlines - as bad as the reviews suggest?

Hi, we are flying LHR - NBO on Boxing day, then carrying on to Zanzibar in the new year. The reviews of Kenyan Airways have been pretty bad and I wondered if anyone had any positive experiences? In particular I would like to know if people have any experience of check in; we have booked through a travel agent who is unable to give us a code for online check in, and so we have to take our chances at the airport. I have visions of being in the last row, seperated from each other and in middle seats the whole way as everyone else managed to check in online! Are my fears unfounded? also my partner worries his veggie meal request won't make it through - any experience here? I probably shouldn't worry - how bad can it be?!?!

Many thanks.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 147
1. Re: Kenyan Airlines - as bad as the reviews suggest?

Sarah, it is not as bad as people make it sound.

Do you have an airline booking code? If you go to www.klm.com and click on manage my booking, add the code and your surname, you should be able to reserve your seats, and also do an online check in. The code should bein with 5.....

KQ always honors special meal requests. I find klm to be worse then KQ. KQ is a direct flight.

Enjoy

London, United...
reviews: 1
2. Re: Kenyan Airlines - as bad as the reviews suggest?

No, no airline booking code. Haven't had to check in in person in years!! That's my main concern!

Edited: 3:03 pm, September 10, 2012
Mumbai (Bombay...
reviews: 57
3. Re: Kenyan Airlines - as bad as the reviews suggest?

hii..i travelled twice..From mumbai to nbo and then nbo to joburg..Nothing went wrong..did online check in..booked the seats when booking tickets through agent.. same seats were shown when checking online..requested for asain veg meal and got that..flight was on time..only think they were full from mum to nbo, so long checkin line...

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 147
4. Re: Kenyan Airlines - as bad as the reviews suggest?

There has to be one on your eticket. Is there an e ticket number? If so call Kenya airways and ask them for your booking reference.

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 13
5. Re: Kenyan Airlines - as bad as the reviews suggest?

If you have booked through a travel agency you do not have your booking E ticket" until three weeks before travel - your seats will have been allocated for you and there usually at the back- but as the booking number will be on your eticket just click on KA and then 30 hours before flying you can change/ choose your seat on line

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 50
6. Re: Kenyan Airlines - as bad as the reviews suggest?

To check in online or change seats you need either your booking reference or your e-ticket number and as said above you should receive an e-ticket well before you fly.

In the past few years I've only once used a booking agent, a friend insisted it was better than booking direct on the internet as it gave extra security and flexibility (it didn't) but even then there was a booking reference tucked away somewhere in the print out that the agent gave me.

As for Kenya Airways, they are as good as most European airlines and better than some, better than any American airline I've travelled with but not as good as the middle-eastern and far-eastern airlines.

Boston...
reviews: 72
7. Re: Kenyan Airlines - as bad as the reviews suggest?

Left on Kenya Airlines and did the doestic flights on Air Kenya.. Not one complaint

Telford, Shropshire
reviews: 66
8. Re: Kenyan Airlines - as bad as the reviews suggest?

You can't reserve your seats until 90 days before departure date.

When you book online, you can also use your surname as I have in the past, if you can't find a reference or booking number.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
9. Re: Kenyan Airlines - as bad as the reviews suggest?

I have travelled Kenya Airways for years and have no complaints!! I was able to use my Frequent Flyer points for a "free" trip to UK last year.

The only problem I can remember is with the in-flight entertainment occasionally not working. That doesn't worry me - I am quite happy to watch the map, read, sleep as necessary. I have also has no problems with the special meals.

I now need mobility assistance and this has always been provided well.

Bath, United Kingdom
reviews: 19
10. Re: Kenyan Airlines - as bad as the reviews suggest?

We (11 of us) have just returned from a two week trip to Kenya! Holiday of a lifetime!! FANTASTIC! We travelled on several Kenya Airways planes and I can report the following. Our trip out was OK - plane was a bit old and the inflight entertainment stuff didn't work very well. I had ordered a Veg Meal and there was no problem with this. We had two internal flights with KA and these were great - particualrly one which was in a very new plane which even had a USB point for each seat!

I forgot to order my Veg Meal on the return journey however it had automatically been transferred to my booking from the outward journey so there was no problem. The return flight to LHR was very good with good entertainment and food and we landed about 45 minutes early!!!

No complaints!!!

Edited: 1:25 pm, September 12, 2012