We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport facilities

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Capetown
reviews: 16
Airport facilities

Can anyone please advice us...we will have to spend a few hours at the airport in Nairobi waiting for our connection to Zanzibar. Is there a waiting room, restaurant etc? Any other helpful info please? Thanks!

Newcastle upon...
reviews: 28
1. Re: Airport facilities

Hi,

there is not much at NBO really. Go to the far end of the departure gates and you have a coffee shop where most people grab a drink before flying off.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 150
2. Re: Airport facilities

The coffee shop is called Java and is near gate 14. There are other coffee shops but not that great. It does get very busy thou.

Fordingbridge...
reviews: 143
3. Re: Airport facilities

Compared to your fabulous facilities at CPT, NBO is a dump! It was a dump when I first came through here in 1971. Sadly nothing's changed.

Oakland, CA
reviews: 158
4. Re: Airport facilities

NBO...think dim and dingy. Forewarned is forearmed. It is probably one of the worst airports in which to spend any amount of time (in fact, USA Today puts it in its list "Top Ten World's Worst Airports"). If the gov't would spend less on fancy seats for its MPs, and more on a badly needed and long -promised airport upgrade...but I digress.

Don't go to your flight gate too early.Once you go thru to your specific gate, there are no restrooms, but they do have the usual small gate waiting area.

Great tip about the coffee shop Forum Folks! Thank you!!

ALSO--you can PAY to use one of the private airline lounges (eg the business or First lounge) It is nothing special, but it was in an improvement over the seats lining the chaotic corridor. THey were going to charge $30 per person (even though i was flying economy from NBO to London) . For your length of wait, it might be worth it--you can have a look inside and see.

There is an internet "shop" but you have to pay a bundle to use the computer in a crowded room with others waiting. There is a bookshop with exorbitant prices. There are some gift shops if you need to buy something.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
5. Re: Airport facilities

Yes Nairobi is a dump, but at least it functions as an airport, and allows travelers to get from A to B relatively easily. Capetownkoos, you should have a short connection, and grab a Kenyan coffee from Java. Enjoy your time in Zanzibar.

Hong Kong
reviews: 6
6. Re: Airport facilities

Hi,

I just came back from Kenya. We had spent a few hours at the airport. It is a very small airport. But it was better than I expected. There are a restaurant and a cafe. We had dinner at JAVA. There are sockets for charging and free wi-fi for an hour. And there are gift shops. Not too bad. I think airport is the best place to buy souvenirs. Plenty of choice and much cheaper than other curio shops!

Edited: 9:47 am, September 02, 2012
Oakland, CA
reviews: 158
7. Re: Airport facilities

yoyo, good to know about the one hour of free wifi. Darn, I missed that! Where is that WIFI locaated? Alli sw ws an internet "shop" that charged to use its computer

Capetown
reviews: 16
8. Re: Airport facilities

Thanks for the info everyone! Seems to me Java is the keyword here! Can someone please tell me if we need to buy visas in NBO, when coming from South Africa or do we buy them in Zanzibar?

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
9. Re: Airport facilities

As you will be connecting through, you do not need a visa for Kenya. You will have to get visa's on arrival in Zanzibar (for Tanzania).

Hong Kong
reviews: 6
10. Re: Airport facilities

My bf using galaxy ii could access and expired after 1 hour. U need to log in through explorer first, but I tried with my iPhone and I couldn't access. I think it is available in the whole waiting area.