We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Urgent help bad review about Tour Operator already paid dep

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Urgent help bad review about Tour Operator already paid dep

I am in a real pickle.

After doing a lot of research, and checking previews I decided to book a camping safari with Absolute Safari.

I already paid the deposit and will be picked up by them on Oct 3 in NBO to head out to the Safari.

However, someone just posted a response to an earlier posting I placed asking for reviews about this company.

I need some suggestions what to do next.

1- confront them tell them of the bad reviews

2- cancel and walk away since I have more than 30 days before starting the tour

I have asked permission to the person that just had the bad experience if I could quote and forward their complaints to the tour company and see what they have to say. Read below here complaints:

The biggest problems were I didn’t get to go into the parks I booked – totally missed Lake Manyara to see all the flamingos, got 2 hours in Lake Nakuru when it was supposed to be 1.5 days. Didn’t stay in the accommodation I was supposed to – I booked camping. In one hotel I got electrocuted in the shower! The campsites I actually got to stay in were not the ones booked – the guides pocketed the money and took us to the far side, outside of Serengeti then asked us for petrol money! They didn’t give us the water promised, took us to crappy parks without many animals e.g. Tarangire. They were totally irresponsible when it comes to protecting/respecting animals and our safety. In Kenya the driving was really reckless – our guide even let some trainee cook from a campsite (where I had to sleep inside a green concrete block worse than Alcatraz) drive – he stalled at least 50 times and insurance would not have covered us had we crashed. I ordered vegetarian meals – no one knew! In Tanzania the Land Rover broke down SO many times. We were put into other trucks without our bags, camping gear, food, warm clothes (on way to cold Crater). Then about 6 hours later our stuff turned up – everyone else had gone to bed so we finally ate and could get warm and sleep. In that time no one communicated with us to explain what was happening. It is Africa but they can still communicate. We would go for up to 20 hours without food – again the guides obviously sold the food off or didn’t cater enough for us. We’d get tea/coffee and one biscuit at 5.30am then not return to camp for breakfast/brunch/lunch until mid afternoon, no snacks were in the van for us. The lunches we did get were all yellow- off banana, muffin, sweet rice cake, sponge cake and white bread sandwich (4 slices of bread) with one slice of cheese in it.

Good luck, if you need more info just ask. I have blocked most of the bad things out. I have reported Absolute Adventure Africa to KATO. In between the Kenya and Tanzania parts I met with the owner of Absolute Adventure Africa who promised Tanzania would not go wrong – it was worse! There will be no refund. Such a shame for a once in a lifetime holiday to be so terrible.

Isle of Man, United...
reviews: 188
11. Re: Urgent help bad review about Tour Operator already paid dep

My answer is still the same. Even if elements of the reasons stack up, and there is reason to believe them, I think the risk is too high. You are not in control and will spend the next few weeks in torment. End it.

It is not that it was just the one bad review. It was the way it was handled and promises not kept.

I think that is a fair way out.

Edited: 5:02 am, August 28, 2012
Boston...
reviews: 69
12. Re: Urgent help bad review about Tour Operator already paid dep

I agree^^^^^^^

yes, these things happen and yes, there are 2 sides to every story.. But the fact that OP is very concerned would be enough to make me say.. Forget the $150 and find another operator. If you get it back, wonderful.. But if you don't, consider it the least of your worries abiut what could have happened.

It's not a cheap trip by any means.. So you want to take every reasonable precaution so you can be reasonably sure you will enjoy it.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 25
13. Re: Urgent help bad review about Tour Operator already paid dep

If you can find another tour operator that can provide the safari you are seeking within your budget range, I would suggest changing companies and obtaining the refund. Even if it means walking away from a $150 deposit, that could be cheap when compared to how much you could get zapped for while on your holiday.

Oakland, CA
reviews: 150
14. Re: Urgent help bad review about Tour Operator already paid dep

OK, nice enough letter and offer from the company in question.

But, take your refund and choose another t.o. (In other words, "take the money and run".to another company)

Sure , they might be ok, but if not..you'll kick yourself for ignoring the warnings!

I'd say this even if you were NOT getting a full refund.

I agree, one disgruntled fussy person can attempt to ruin a company's reputation--i've seen it happen too. Still...

Good luck

Bize-Minervois...
reviews: 39
15. Re: Urgent help bad review about Tour Operator already paid dep

I totally agree with everybody, walk away or you will have a nagging doubt driving you mad right up to the day of your departure.

16. Re: Urgent help bad review about Tour Operator already paid dep

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, December 16, 2013