We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transitting overnighting at Jomo Kenyatta Airport

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
Transitting overnighting at Jomo Kenyatta Airport

Does anyone have any idea if JKIA provide overnight facilities like the one in Chennai Airport? Thanks

Newcastle upon...
reviews: 34
1. Re: Transitting overnighting at Jomo Kenyatta Airport

I stand to be corrected but as far as i know they dont. Though they have been making alot of changes this last year.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
2. Re: Transitting overnighting at Jomo Kenyatta Airport

They used to have Sleep and Shower. I don't know if it is up again!

Michigan
reviews: 56
3. Re: Transitting overnighting at Jomo Kenyatta Airport

Even though making improvements (which currently has significantly reduced the parking lot space), the only thing I noticed was that there were more seats available inside the terminal (still the same in gated areas). They added seats, still the hard plastic ones, in that main hallway, which is an improvement. Still same bathrooms, with very tight stalls (making it next to impossible to take in your carry on bag), still no bathrooms in the gate areas, and pretty much the same shops, which I had heard they were eliminating to make some type of improvements. This was as of May. I did ask, out of curiosity not of need, if the Sleep and Shower were back opened and they said no.

nyc
4. Re: Transitting overnighting at Jomo Kenyatta Airport

... '' no bathrooms in the gate area '' is not unusual.

At those airports where each gate is enclosed (as NBO does) has it's own security, I can't ever recall finding a loo within that area. Nor for that matter is there access to food... gotta get munchies, sandwich, other before entering the gate and hope what you have isn't liquid or it goes into the trash.

At those airports where once thru security you have access to various gates, you will find loos, restaurants, shops, etc. But again, the liquid issue... no! no! no!

So it varies, depending on where.

Michigan
5. Re: Transitting overnighting at Jomo Kenyatta Airport

That was the nice thing about Amsterdam (AMS). There were, at least at the gate area I was in (an enclosed gate with its own security), bathrooms. It was however, down a flight of steps. But it was nice since they encouraged us to be in the gate area abou 1.5 hrs. ahead of the flight. Takes a long time to board the big planes.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 52
6. Re: Transitting overnighting at Jomo Kenyatta Airport

JKIA development - the saga continues

www.standardmedia.co.ke/…

Michigan
7. Re: Transitting overnighting at Jomo Kenyatta Airport

Thanks for that update. Looks like I may never see a restroom stall where I can easily roll in my carry on :-(

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
reviews: 2
8. Re: Transitting overnighting at Jomo Kenyatta Airport

I need to use the disabled loos!! They do have space for hand luggage, so as long as you are not inconveniencing a genuinely disabled person, that is a possibility.

Does anyone know if the paid lounges are open all night now? At one time they were all shut "for cleaning" just when visitors needed them!! If they are open, that would be another option.

Edited: 6:41 am, August 27, 2012
9. Re: Transitting overnighting at Jomo Kenyatta Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, December 15, 2013