We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel location?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
45 posts
Hotel location?

Hi there,

I am flying into NBO on oct 28, sunday arriving at 2:30pm.

My desire is to go to the Sheldwick at 5pm and then to a hotel near Wilson for an early departure the next morning.

Any hotel suggestions for 2 women travelers? Looking in the $175-225 price range since we will be tired and dont need a lot of amenities.

Is this plan realistic?

I didnt think there would be too much traffic on sunday but dont know how long customs will take. Might we have time to kill between NBO and elephants? Suggestions..

Thanks so much for your help.

Australia
Level Contributor
359 posts
15 reviews
11. Re: Hotel location?

We stayed at the aeroclub in July, and it was clean, comfortable, convenient to Wilson. And reasonably priced. No worries about catching our eight am flight, and no rush.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,448 posts
6 reviews
12. Re: Hotel location?

Just noticed a completely misleading comment in one of Stefanilarda's posts that people would want to see corrected: "Wilson/Sheldrick is in Langata"

The David Sheldrick Wildife Trust (elephant orphanage) is inside Nairobi National Park, Mbagathi Gate, way down the Magadi road. It's 11km from Wilson airport - which is in Langata, kind of.

Anyone driving between the two on Langata Road today (I heard through twitter, I'm in UK at present) would have taken an hour or more to do that connection. At least.

Richard

Edited: 8:31 pm, August 25, 2012
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,999 posts
11 reviews
13. Re: Hotel location?

It's "Pick on Stef Day" today ?!

UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,448 posts
6 reviews
14. Re: Hotel location?

Not at all - certainly not my intention.

But these posts are here forever, and I reckon we should try to get it right. If we're not sure, say nothing – or say we're not sure. And you have to take account of how people read things. Saying something is "a short distance" in Nairobi isn't much help if that requires driving down a road – Langata Road – that is regularly, as you know (I hope you do!) completely at standstill, sometimes for literally hours, and not just at rush hour.

The idea that anywhere in Karen or Langata is "near" Wilson Airport is really flawed - at least it is as of August 2012. Once all the work on Langata Road is finished, who knows, perhaps people will be able to drive from Wilson to Galleria Karen (7km) in less than 10 minutes. Currently, you should allow a good hour. And for Wilson to Macushla House or House of Waine (both 14km but miles apart) I'd allow a couple of hours.

Richard

15. Re: Hotel location?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:01 pm, August 30, 2012
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
45 posts
16. Re: Hotel location?

Thanks, Richard. We r staying at the aero club. It just made sense to me.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,999 posts
11 reviews
17. Re: Hotel location?

Richard - did you miss the point that the OP is arriving on a "Sunday" when there's minimal traffic on Langata road ?

And what about this post where you made a real "cock up" of ?

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g294207-i9695-k5246…

On this post, you told the OP to head out to Karen/Langata neighbourhood, when OP had "ONLY" 7 hours of transit time. OP was due to arrive at 4 pm (peak time) on a weekday, when traffic starts to build up. And, this was during a time when there was heavy road construction.

Bill - i've just reported you to TA Admin.

Edited: 10:02 am, August 26, 2012
18. Re: Hotel location?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:02 pm, August 30, 2012
Edited: 12:02 pm, August 30, 2012
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,999 posts
11 reviews
19. Re: Hotel location?

Yes - really.

UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,448 posts
6 reviews
20. Re: Hotel location?

Stef, my point in this thread was that the Langata Road is currently a real nightmare. At any time, including weekends.

Would anyone else actually based in Nairobi who uses Langata Road regularly between Wilson and Karen like to chip in?

As for the March post you linked to, I agree, on reflection (and having spent more hours on Langata Road since March…) that suggesting a Karen restaurant to someone arriving at JKIA at 4pm and having to fly out again from JKIA at 11pm was not the best advice. And that was clear by the end of the thread.

Richard