We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does this price sound right?

Which Nairobi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Does this price sound right?

Just got a quote for an add on trip that I am taking the end of october 2012 from Born Free Travel and wonder if it is high. It feels high to me but maybe I am missing something. It is $2235 each X 2. It is inclusive of fees, transfers, and air from wilson. It is at the Samburu Elephant Bedroom for 3 nights. Anyone have suggestions on this? Thanks for your support.

Boston...
reviews: 71
1. Re: Does this price sound right?

About $4500 for 3 night stay + the airfare... Sounds high but the property is not cheap either... And neither is flying.

Get another quote from another operator so you can compare apples to apples.

You can also google the property and look at rates... The flight will most likely be Air Kenya.. So maybe the rates ae on their website.

Edited: 6:45 pm, August 11, 2012
Somerset, United...
reviews: 6
2. Re: Does this price sound right?

Hi Nickelkatt,

Yes, the prices sound a bit too high. You would get a burgain elsewhere.

The T.O I used are doing the same for $1795.00 per person!

plansafari.com/4_days_samburu_luxury_safari.…

... and probably not the best price.

Shop around.

R. Hunt

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
reviews: 49
3. Re: Does this price sound right?

R Hunt,

It might be a good idea if you posted some views or advice that wasn't just recommending Plan Safari and posting their url, as they seem to be the only posts you make, people might start to think you work for them

Somerset, United...
reviews: 6
4. Re: Does this price sound right?

Doff,

Sorry if that was offending/wrong. will not post their url again! I do not work for them. Just thought it was a good idea to let others know of their pretty good services.

nyc
5. Re: Does this price sound right?

The daily Rack Rate (highest) for travel during Oct, for stay at Elephant Bedroom is about $390.person/nt + $80.person/nt park fees. Then you have the return air WIL/SAM/WIL of $350+ (incl taxes). Add to this cost of transfers to/from Wilson airport in Nairobi... comes to a tad less than $2K/person.

Unless you specifically requested bush meal/s, laundry, beverages (alcoholic and non-alcoholic), each of which are at additional costs... the price you indicate without these extras... too high.

Appears agent isn't provided contract (lower) rates... assuming they get these, but instead using the rack rates on room/board and air, then their commission on top of that.

Suggest you submit the request to a few other outfitters in order to compare prices.

nyc
6. Re: Does this price sound right?

Even looking at the URL for Plan Safaris provided, why in the world do they indicate 'flight to Laikipia?" when it should be to Samburu? Laikipia is quite a distance from Samburu, about 4/hrs by road.... duh! Guess someone there doesn't know how to proof-read!

Los Angeles...
7. Re: Does this price sound right?

Thanks Sandi,

I thought the same about Laikipia.

Also as you can see, I am taking your advice of adding Samburu to our trip. It looks like a fantastic combination of seeing additional animals (elephants especially) and added culture (samburu village). Now if I can just find a fair price with a reputable company I can get this trip finalized....appreciate everyones info...

8. Re: Does this price sound right?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:36 am, August 14, 2012
Nairobi
reviews: 3
9. Re: Does this price sound right?

The price may be a little bit too high as a quick calculation including a profit margin total around 1850. This is due to To getting special discounted rates from hotels/lodges. consider comparing prices with other operators

Boston...
reviews: 71
10. Re: Does this price sound right?

Have you tried George at steenbok safaris? I think it's Steenboksafaris.com ... Not the cheapest guy (but IMO you dont want that anyway).. I found his pricing to be very fair

Edited: 11:00 am, August 14, 2012